• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering an already bonded bun advice needed please

Mrs Ord

Mama Doe
My boys are deffinately getting the snip this year and sooner rather than later. They both already have wives. Once done can they go straight back in with their partners or could they be hurt by the girls? The girls are speyed so no pregnancy issues. Also do they need to be in limited space? One of the boys has a two storey hutch will he be ok on the ramp? :?

i'm not an expert but when i had my guy's done i left them with their partners. the vet took them both in when they went for the op and i kept them together through the recovery.
also when i had Eli he was in a 2 tier cage, i blocked the ramp off for a couple of days until he was up and about properly but he was fine.

the guys seemed to be up and back to normal much quicker than the girls (suppose its not as intrusive) but i think having thier spouse with them stopped them stressing as much.

All outdoor but both set ups are pretty warm. One is a shed and the other is a hutch with attached pen with roof so waterproof even in the outdoor space.

Also the pen is against a fence and the house so only two sides open to the wind.

i'm not an expert but when i had my guy's done i left them with their partners. the vet took them both in when they went for the op and i kept them together through the recovery.
also when i had Eli he was in a 2 tier cage, i blocked the ramp off for a couple of days until he was up and about properly but he was fine.

the guys seemed to be up and back to normal much quicker than the girls (suppose its not as intrusive) but i think having thier spouse with them stopped them stressing as much.

I was thinking of doing this too as Carlisle really frets without Lilly. She is his "eyes" :love:

i would think any rabbit savvy vet should let them stay together, especially if one is quite dependant on the other.
Eli would have been in an awful state without Dot.. the same with Buddy, he frets on his own and often stops eating which is awful scary!

you know your buns so go with your instincts. :D

Thanks. It helps that I won't have to rebond as well. I'm already gearing up and getting the nerve together to attempt a group bonding of the four of them. Thats why the boys are having the snip. My last neuter went wrong as well. I put my boy piggy Jake in to be done and he didn't make it thorough the op so its really scary for me.

Many rescues leave pairs of buns together when they go to the vets and also on their return home. As has been previously said it is less stressful and I have always found that rabbits recover quicker than if separated or are lone bunnies.

I know it goes against the norm but I always seperate mine overnight just until I know for definate they are eating/drinking/pooping etc as its very hard to see all these things in bonded pairs. I always keep them in cages next to each other tho so they can see, smell each other and have never had any probs putting them back together.

There are lots of people who have had bonds broken down when one rabbit has gone to the vet though so I'm not saying its ok to do this, just that its worked for me.

Its always been the girls having ops though and the boys do tend to be less territorial than girls so whether that makes the diff or not I'm not sure.

I'd also worry that if your boys are humpers they could hinder their healing if left together.

Sorry for the long post, I guess the point is that there is no right answer, just what you think is best for your bunnies.

Neither of my boys are humpers but one of my girls is a nipper :lol: She likes to take clumps of fur from his botty :shock:

Back