• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you insure your bunnies?

MichG

Mama Doe
If so who with and how much?

I am with Petplan for one of my buns (and 2 have the 4 weeks free) but with a lifetime policy it is £10.99 a month. The other 3 aren't insured at all, and I will probably cancel after the 4 weeks free.

Are there any better deals out there?
Do you bother?

Yes, both of mine as i couldnt continually offer emergency vet fees if i didnt.

Gingers going to cost me a lot of money and has already...

I don't currently, but will when I have two, as I couldn't afford very expensive bills. I will use PetPlan.

I'm with petplan costs about £200 a year, which is definitely a lot of money, but vet fees for rabbits can easily become enormous!

I'm with petplan and my cost £17 a month. I've already had nearly £1000 out of them since May :D

I am definitely keeping Patch insured, he has cost PetPlan nearly £1500 since December last year!! :shock:

no i dont but we do have alot of bunnies and its rare when they have to go to the vet and when they do i think the biggest vet bill i had last year was £80 it would probably cost more than that in insurance
i spent alot of money on insurance the first year we had missy dog and it was never used so i think its just better to have money aside for vet bills
but thats just me im sure many of you would be in big money trouble without it so yes i do think it is a good idea for some people ;)

Yes! Joejoe claimed £1800+ last year and has already racked up about £600+ this month alone :shock: And believe it or not he's not even a typically poorly bunny, he's just had two unfortunate incidents. i couldn't sleep at night if he wasn't insured.

No I dont. I couldn't for my old man now anyway nor my new bunny I expect as she is 5, well we don't have actual ages for either of them.

But my advise is yes insure. My Nancy cost me about £1,700 in 3 years. Well £1,000 of that was because she had her ear ripped off by a fox, she was in an eglu so it could only get her ear. She had to have 2 major operations. She recovered very quickly.

Vets are very very expensive.

Yeah I've just taken it out, petplan, 8.99 a month for one bunny. My vets is ridiculously cheap, and I doubt I will use it much in the next year. If it was at night or weekends though, an emergency vet can cost a lot, so thats one of the reasons I have got it.

The main reason I have taken it out is because I will be moving next year, and will no longer be able to use a vet that is so cheap, I'll have to start paying consultation charges + treatment which is much more likely to go over the £50 excess. So I am getting it out now BEFORE he gets ill, so there are no exclusions when I need it next year, does that make sense? Bear in mind it wont cover illnesses within the first 14 days as well, so getting it sooner is better than later.

Like all insurance, it provides peace of mind. If you dont use it, it is very expensive, but if you have even one emergency or ongoing condition, you get way more than you pay out.

I've been wondering what to do about this as well as I now have two rabbits. If you can, you can put emergency money aside just in case but I'm terrible at saving, so to be on the safe side I will probably go with Petplan as that is what everyone here has recommended before. I'm waiting for Roo to be neutered (which is tomorrow!) and for them to have their final jabs. I take it that I'll have to have these in place before taking any insurance out?

I've been wondering what to do about this as well as I now have two rabbits. If you can, you can put emergency money aside just in case but I'm terrible at saving, so to be on the safe side I will probably go with Petplan as that is what everyone here has recommended before. I'm waiting for Roo to be neutered (which is tomorrow!) and for them to have their final jabs. I take it that I'll have to have these in place before taking any insurance out?

You need vaccinations and a teeth check yearly to have them insured, but neutering isn't needed.

Thanks, I had no idea about the teeth.

You can ask them to check his teeth properly during neutering when he is under GA. As for the yearly one after that though, I think people just get the vet to have a quick look when they have their VHD vacc once a year. Either way, the most important thing is to make sure it goes on the bunny's notes that it has been checked, so you have proof.

I dont think any insurance plans cover dental work anyway though.

mine aren't insured but i do have a bank account for the dogs and buns which money goes into every month.
if i need it, it's there, if i don't it keeps adding up in my account and not someone elses.

but in the past i have spent hundreds on vet bills. :(

I am planning to get Flopsy and Bella insured, Petplan seems to come highly recommended. I wish I had got Barney insured before he became ill. Might still be able to. Will I get cover on a existing condition?

I am planning to get Flopsy and Bella insured, Petplan seems to come highly recommended. I wish I had got Barney insured before he became ill. Might still be able to. Will I get cover on a existing condition?

nope it will be excluded... its best to ring and ask though as with some things they will review it in a few months if it hasnt reoccured.

Back