• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

does this sound like he is lonely

shadow05

Mama Doe
whenever i go into my room scooter starts making a fuss he starts biting the bars, pulls at them even trys to pick them up sometimes. whenever i go past the pen he follows where ever i move if i dont stroke him he continus to bit at the cage and will even try to bite at my cloths or pull them into the cage. he also does this with my mom as well. when i sit in the pen he is all over me as well jumping on me nudging me and everything he will occastinally bit at my cloths but ive taken this to mean move ur in my way. he sits around and looks like hes sort of moppy a bit as well.:(

according to my mom when she goes to tell him off for something he scowls at her, he never has done it to me. i dont know if rabbits can scowl but i think she might be making it up.

i was wondering does this sound like he is lonely?

Bored and Lonely.

Does the 'mopey' look, look similar to this?

random3.jpg

21st03.jpg

i cant help with the bordem at the moment ive literally ran out of toys and ideas and money too. :( he has got a load of hay but its not his favourite so he dont eat much of it.

hes got bits of cardbord in and a wooden tunnel and well as some other things.

i think i need to do some more shopping might try buying off of the internet for a change.

Also sounds a bit hormonal. My friend's minilop was like that last winter when he was a house bunny. Couldn't wait to get out of his cage when anyone went into the room.

Also sounds a bit hormonal. My friend's minilop was like that last winter when he was a house bunny. Couldn't wait to get out of his cage when anyone went into the room.

yea it does a bit its only gotten worse since he was neutered. i am trying my best to ignore him cause i dont want to promt the behaviour but i am stioll trying to giveb him things to do to distract him but he doesnt take interest at all he carries on with wat hes doing instead.

yes, as others have said, bored, lonely and trying to escape. My bun does the bar chewing sometimes when I put him away for the night.

Dont bother with new toys, its just a waste of the money you could be using to bunny-proof your room. Once he is free range your room will become his toy, he can jump up and down from things, sprint around and hide under stuff, it'll be his playground.

Only thing I could suggest is apple sticks, they can keep him busy for a while and they're fairly cheap too. I think Fluffers had a thread selling them for honeybunnies, or you can get them on ebay. They keep my bun busy when I put him away :)

How long is it since he was neutered? The hormal behaviour should settle after a few weeks. Is he a good hay eater. Maybe mixing some treats in a box of hay would keep him occupied. A bit messy for a house bunny but perhaps worth a try. You could also try him with hay cakes - a bit less messy but not all bunnies like them.

i think it is only natural that he is bored and lonely.

in another of your threads you stated that you only spend 3 hours a week with him.
is there any chance of perhaps getting up an hour earlier before college to play with him? or spending more of the time you are at home with him?

this might help to take some of his lonliness away :)

He does sound a bit bored.
If you have an old phonebook and pull out the glossy pages, he can pull that apart. Charlie loves it.
Feeding in a treat ball is great, takes them a while to get it all out.
Loads of boxes, toilet roll tubes
Hide treats for him around his cage so he has to find them when you're out
Tunnels
Things to jump on (Charlie has a toddler step)
Some little rattle type things so he can play with the noise if he wants to
Mix some dried herbs or something like that in with his hay so that he has to forrage to get the bits he wants and eat bits of extra hay
Willow sticks! They're only about £2 in wilkos for a bunch and theyre great to chew on

Is he free range at all? or has exercise out of the hutch?

I found with Oggie, if he got bored of certain toys, I took them away for a week and then when I put them back he loveeed them :lol:
There are quite a few ideas of homemade toys.

Ogs has an old yellow pages which he loves to dig and chew on.

Big boxes (which you can get from some stores free) with cut holes in then put one of the tunnels leading into the box.

You could hang a box from the ceiling of the hutch, with food in. I normally make it quite difficult for Ogs to get it :lol:

He also has a hanging thing from pets at home, where you can spear food on.

There were also some ideas on here where someone put pellets in a brown paper bag then scrunched up the bag. I can see that keeps bunnies amused for awhile!

You could do a digging box

Use toilet rolls to hide food in. Sometimes, I put hay and food in them and then turn the ends over then hide it all under hay.

I don't know if they are still doing it, but pets at home were doing the tunnels (fabric ones) for 2 for £10. Oggie loves these as they are like a warren.

Time to be creative I think! :lol:

Eta - When I supervise him, I also put some food under light weight plastic tub things. Gets him really frustrated but he does eventually get the reward.

I've seen a bunny scowl!

Have you seen this thread?

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=270948

The cardboard castle would keep him REALLY amused if you could build him one. They might have spare boxes knocking around at college? Maybe ask the people who look after the photocopiers because paper comes in nice sized boxes.

:wave:

i would have done this but he eats cardboard and i didnt think u could use sallotape.

I agree with bored and lonely :(

He needs more space and more attention, if possible.

at the moment i cant give him more space he has the amxium amount of space i can give him i am working on giving him free range time but there are a couple of things that need to be cleaned and put away and also bunny proffed.

as for the attention i cant give him more, but i am coming upto the end of this term today so i will have nearly all of next week to myself so will spend some more time with him then.

yes, as others have said, bored, lonely and trying to escape. My bun does the bar chewing sometimes when I put him away for the night.

Dont bother with new toys, its just a waste of the money you could be using to bunny-proof your room. Once he is free range your room will become his toy, he can jump up and down from things, sprint around and hide under stuff, it'll be his playground.

Only thing I could suggest is apple sticks, they can keep him busy for a while and they're fairly cheap too. I think Fluffers had a thread selling them for honeybunnies, or you can get them on ebay. They keep my bun busy when I put him away :)

ill try and get him some apple sticks i probs buy loads of them off ebay i already have an account on there.

unfortunatly as much as id like to he wont ever be a full ranged bunny he can be practically but not fully. my mom wont allow it she will allow him to walk around with my supervision but he has to go back in the moment i leave the room. :(

ill try and get him some apple sticks i probs buy loads of them off ebay i already have an account on there.

unfortunatly as much as id like to he wont ever be a full ranged bunny he can be practically but not fully. my mom wont allow it she will allow him to walk around with my supervision but he has to go back in the moment i leave the room. :(

at the moment i cant give him more space he has the amxium amount of space i can give him i am working on giving him free range time but there are a couple of things that need to be cleaned and put away and also bunny proffed.

as for the attention i cant give him more, but i am coming upto the end of this term today so i will have nearly all of next week to myself so will spend some more time with him then.

the thing is sweetie, if you are keeping a bunny on his own without a friend, he NEEDS lots of attention from you.

i am a bit confused as to where the lack of time comes from. even if you got in from college at 6pm and went to bed at 10pm there are 4 hours there. even if you take away having tea and doing work etc, i don't see how you can't spend an hour a night with him.

Back