• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Just nibbling - should I worry??

Hi everyone, well, here we go again. Parsnip has a history of GI statis and I've noticed lately that he is eating but slowly. He is drinking normally and is full of 'beans' and looks fine in himself. I've started to give him the fibre plex paste and he's eaten this off a bit of basil so that's good. His poops are a good colour although slightly smaller than usual. My question, do you think I should take him to the vet now or am I just over reacting due to his history? I always keep a very close eye on him to the extent my husband thinks I'm potty (although now he is doing the same thing!!). I've got some pineapple for him later to go with his: ad lib hay, Oxbow Basics t pellets, apple, carrot, cabbage, basil, parsley and a small handfull of dandilion delight and his 3 daily papaya (spelling??!) tablets - which he adores!! :)

If your rabbit has had a history of GI problems and has now slowed down in eating it is definately time to get a vet check done. GI stasis is often a secondary condition which happens as a result of something else going on, therefore if you notice any changes it is important that you get this investigated so that treatment can begin before stasis kicks in.

Some rabbits with dental problems will begin to slow down in their eating prior to needing a dental, if this can be detected early and a dental done at an early stage additional health problems may be avoided. do seek advise from your vet ASAP to prevent yourself requiring an emergency vet visit and putting your bunnies life at risk.

Hi as you know I also have a 'tummy bunny' and I am like you, constantly on the look out and any slight change I start to panic.
I would suggest a definate call to the vets and see what they say.
When Jimby starts slowing down with his eating or leaving even 2 pellets I know to be on guard as he tends to go in to statis a couple of days after. :cry:
Hope he is back to his normal eating habbits soon!

I wouldn't muck about hun, if Parsnips eating habits have altered and he's got history of stasis then i'd get the little man off to the vets, better for it to be nipped in the bud if thats the direction he's heading in than for him to suddenly go downhill in the night or something. :wave:

Back