• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it Best to Keep Quiet ?

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
So, I have been informed that my posts in Health which question advice given by a Vet actually cause more harm than good. I am apparently 'belittling' QUALIFIED advice and making an already worried Rabbit care-giver even more anxious.

I have never tried to pass myself off as a QUALIFIED Veternarian. Any posts I make concerning Rabbit health are just from my experience caring for numerous Rabbits with various health problems.

TBH I am getting a tad sick of people who will not speak out on here but take it upon themselves to email me with their 'opinions'.

So I feel it best that I now confine any posts I make to 'Photos and Stories' .
Hopefully I wont 'cause more harm than good' there.

:( Please don't, you have so much knowledge. I think sometimes it's good to question what vets say especially as we know many don't really know that much about rabbits. If I hadn't questioned a previous vet I may not still have Mischa.

Don't you dare disappear from health!!

I can't believe someone would be so cowardly to email you about it, and not just say it to your "metaphorical" face. Do you know who it is?:?

Your advise is wonderful and has helped hundreds of rabbits on here!! (My Eddie, for one!).....and if that person reads the top of the health section it obviously states that WE ARE NOT VETS!:roll: I've seen you write that you're not a vet yourself. ...merely going from experience and what your vet has told you.

Please don't let one person get to you!:(

:( Please don't, you have so much knowledge. I think sometimes it's good to question what vets say especially as we know many don't really know that much about rabbits. If I hadn't questioned a previous vet I may not still have Mischa.

Jane i totally agree with this.

I honestly feel that you have had more experience with medical conditions of rabbits than most vets too.

Your experience and knowledge is greatly appreciated and needed too.

Don't stop posting in health!
For me you were one of the people who was instumental in saving my Kermit's life.
In that instance the vet said i should have him PTS, but after getting knowledge from here and changing vets my Kermit was about for another 16months x

I rarely post on RU anymore but I saw this and was :shock::shock:

RU NEEDS you!!!! :love:

If, at the end of the day, someone doesn't like your advice etc then they don't have to take it, but I know I for one would ALWAYS value your opinion.
:wave:

You start the post by asking the question 'is it best to keep quiet' but yet said at the end 'So I feel it best that I now confine any posts I make to 'Photos and Stories'.' Which makes me think maybe this post is not actually about the question, maybe more about getting reassurance from people on here?

I think, deep down, you really know what people on here will say. I think also you have to be true to yourself, which, from what I've seen, you like to help rabbits.

Its down to each individual owner to decide whose advice they want to take. If they don't want to take yours, or if they do, then that is fine. They have the choice. But they don't have a choice if you don't give it. At ;east if you give it then they have that choice, and therefore, have more power and more different cards to play, should they wish to.

Also, if people don't want to see your posts, they can put you on ignore.

I think its too ingrained in you to want to help, and that's good because it means so many owners and rabbits can benefit from your advice. I hope its too ingrained to help, that you keep posting there. And I also hope that you know enough not to think that all people hold a negative view of you and that many of us respect you and your knowledge immensely.

You go about this forum and you post as and where you please, the same as everyone else. You may have immense knowledge, but you have as much right as anyone else to post wherever you like.

Don't let a coward win.

So, I have been informed that my posts in Health which question advice given by a Vet actually cause more harm than good. I am apparently 'belittling' QUALIFIED advice and making an already worried Rabbit care-giver even more anxious.

I have never tried to pass myself off as a QUALIFIED Veternarian. Any posts I make concerning Rabbit health are just from my experience caring for numerous Rabbits with various health problems.

TBH I am getting a tad sick of people who will not speak out on here but take it upon themselves to email me with their 'opinions'.

So I feel it best that I now confine any posts I make to 'Photos and Stories' .
Hopefully I wont 'cause more harm than good' there.

whenever ive had u reply to my threads about binnu helath ive found that ur advice has done more good than bad. u have experience in these things, u dont pretend ur a quilified nurse either. just suggest something and if ur not that entirly sure u either dont suggest it or if u tell them u ask them to check with the vet before doing anything.

i think ur one of the best people on here for advice. :D :thumb:

Jane please don't listen to someone like that.

I know for a fact that you, among a few other people, SAVED Leos life with your advice and I'm certain that there are a few more bunnies on here that are still here because of YOU.

The majority of people on here think you're flippin' brilliant. The ones who don't, IMO, are just jealous of how much respect people have for you on here.

Ignore them, please.

We know you well enough, Jane. You wouldn't post advice unless you were 100% certain of it - your knowledge is good enough for me and 99.999% of us. You never tell anybody their vet is wrong, you always broach the possibility that there may be a better alternative etc.

It would be a waste not to be able to share such valuable information, folk can ignore it if they wish but I know I never would (I'd run it past my vet at absolute minimum).

Twinkle would be dead if I took my vet's advice... she is well and happy thanks to lots of people who questioned my vet when I posted they told me to PTS....

Dont stop posting in Health Jane!

Jane that is disgraceful, you have knowledge that can be passed on that is in the best interest of the animal.

My only concern with giving advice online (and this is in general and not just on RU) that people may take it for vet advice and not bother seeking help.

I see it a lot on guinea pig message boards advice from so called experts is taken as gospel and vets are not sought.

As long as those giving the advice are clear and the forum rules state that advice and support given are not to for proper veterinary care then I see no problem with offering advice.

Who on earth could accuse you of causing more harm than good when giving advice:shock:
I think its that sometimes people post wanting to hear what they want to hear.. ie.. "dont worry it will be ok" and when they are given proper advice... they cant take it!!
Please dont stop posting... I for one would be relieved if you appeared on a thread I had made asking for advice on a poorly bun!!!

You always put a disclaimer on your advice and say that you are not a vet. I think that's enough to be honest.

ALSO statistically, you've had so many buns that you will probably have seen more cases of 'regular' probs like stasis, dentals sore hocks etc than a lot of vets so it's likely that you will have seen most ways of treating things and have found some things that work better.

I shall end with a referral to this thread to remind you of the difference you DO make.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264703

xxx

No Jane..Please don't.

You have helped me and the buns so much over the years with your advice.

At the end of the day it is only your intention to suggest certain possibilities, which can then be put forward to said person's Vet.

I have found this invaluable when trying to treat or ascertain what is wrong with a bun, when no other possibilities or treatments can be suggested.

Lots of love x x x

I always value your advice on any of my threads, although I'm aware I haven't always had the courage to take it. Keep on posting! :wave:

Ignore them Jane! For goodness sake:roll:...who ever feels they cant just post what they feel and then intimidates you personally is silly! :roll:Youre very experienced, hugely knowledgable & your input & advice is greatly appreciated! You always ensure you say you are not a vet...plus your advice enables us to ask the right questions at our vets......stay, carry on what your doing & others can do what they want...dont let anyone persuade you that your knowledge should not be heard...its all about sharing...give & take.....we love you Jane! and big thanks for your advice!:thumb::D

The internet is a fickle place where emotions cannot be expressed accurately in most cases.
Jane, I can only echo what others have said - your knowledge and advice is worth pure gold. We know you are not a vet, you know you are not a vet and yet you know so much more than most vets Ive met (My fiend has had his vet ask him what his buns problem was and how to fix it! :shock: )

Jane please, we need you! The sick bunnies need you! I don't know what else to do or how much to plead with you. :(

In an ideal world people should be able to trust their vets completely and not need to seek advice or reassurance on here. Unfortunately that is not always the case. I would like to think no one would take anyone's advice here as gospel either, as Jane has said, most of us are not and will never be vets.

I think it is a case of balance, if I saw someone's vet had recommended a drug which may kill them I would of course say something, as Jane did when Isabel was prescribed a completely inappropriate drug, my vet agreed it would have killed her, if Kris hadn't checked on here, and Jane responded Isabel would be dead, no question!! which answers your question Jane.

I think people should be much more proactive in finding a vet they do trust and is rabbit savvy...that would solve the problem. I know too many people that stay with awful vets and moan and complain but don't change!

I can see that if a vet is faced by someone saying "oh someone on a internet forum told me you are wrong" obviously isn't going to go down well, I think generally the best solution is to see your vet, if you are unsure take advice here on board, do your own research and then decide what you think the best course of action is. The owner is ultimately responsibly for the animal.

Completely agree with what's already been said :wave:

You have a wealth of knowledge and experience and it's very sad that you've been made to feel that you shouldn't be sharing it.

Back