• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First Time Bonding Advice please!

chul

Staff member
I am bringing Jezebel home a week on Saturday and need some tips on bonding! I'm not sure where to start. :wave:

Before bonding, i'd strongly suggest a cage next to Bunski's so they can get used to each other.

You are going to have ALOT of neutralising to do, as EVERYWHERE that Bunski has been is going to need to be neutralised.

You'll need to introduce them in neutral territory, in a small space, approx 4x2ft.

Nothing in the pen bar hay ,no litter trays / food bowls.

Are you prepared for what could happen if the bond does NOT work? Do you have somewhere for Jezabel in that situation?

I assume that both rabbits are neutered.

You have not told us anything about your buns, therfore depending on where you are getting your rabbit from you may need to consider isolation to ensure that there is no infection present.

Agree with Graham in small space which is neutral.

When you get around to bonding you will need to ensure that you have adequate time where you can totally give that time to the bonding of your buns, this may be 48, 72 or even longer hours depending on how they bond.

There are lots of threads where more detailed instructions are given, however it is important that you read your rabbits behaviour to know what to do with them.

I assume that both rabbits are neutered.

You have not told us anything about your buns, therfore depending on where you are getting your rabbit from you may need to consider isolation to ensure that there is no infection present.

Agree with Graham in small space which is neutral.

When you get around to bonding you will need to ensure that you have adequate time where you can totally give that time to the bonding of your buns, this may be 48, 72 or even longer hours depending on how they bond.

There are lots of threads where more detailed instructions are given, however it is important that you read your rabbits behaviour to know what to do with them.

:love:

Janice being a pro-bonder, i would always follow what she says :D :thumb:

Both are neutered, male and female. I have a dog crate and a rabbit pen I can use, along with a very small bathroom.

ETA: Jezebel is coming from her foster home.

Last edited:
Both are neutered, male and female. I have a dog crate and a rabbit pen I can use, along with a very small bathroom.

ETA: Jezebel is coming from her foster home.

Personally I woudl not bond in a dog crate as this does not give you as a bonder easy access to pull them apart if required. A pen is fine to use.

This is an old thread I contributed to http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=262676

Preparation for bonding and keeping them together for longer term is one of the most important parts of bonding.

When actually bonding you need to read their body language and respond appropriately as all bondings are different and it is impossible to say do X,Y and Z and each individual case needs to be done according to how things are panning out.

This is an old thread I contributed to http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=262676

Preparation for bonding and keeping them together for longer term is one of the most important parts of bonding.

When actually bonding you need to read their body language and respond appropriately as all bondings are different and it is impossible to say do X,Y and Z and each individual case needs to be done according to how things are panning out.

Just read that, thanks. How do I go about cleaning my carpets :?

I'm thinking bonding in my bathroom is best. I can clean the floor etc with water/vinegar mix before hand.

Before bonding, i'd strongly suggest a cage next to Bunski's so they can get used to each other.

You are going to have ALOT of neutralising to do, as EVERYWHERE that Bunski has been is going to need to be neutralised.

You'll need to introduce them in neutral territory, in a small space, approx 4x2ft.

Nothing in the pen bar hay ,no litter trays / food bowls.

Are you prepared for what could happen if the bond does NOT work? Do you have somewhere for Jezabel in that situation?

Why no litter trays/food bowls? Even if they're new and haven't been used before? I'll be rebonding my two soon, but they're brother and sister and I'm hoping they'll still be fine together, their cages are next to each other already :)

Why no litter trays/food bowls? Even if they're new and haven't been used before? I'll be rebonding my two soon, but they're brother and sister and I'm hoping they'll still be fine together, their cages are next to each other already :)

It stops them having anything to be possessive over. If its going well you can introduce them after a bit and see how it goes. This really is where experience and instinct kick in

Just read that, thanks. How do I go about cleaning my carpets :?

I'm thinking bonding in my bathroom is best. I can clean the floor etc with water/vinegar mix before hand.

You will need to use a carpet cleaner, allow the place to well ventilate and then leave the rabbits off them for at least a week in the area that they are being bonded in. If the smells of the rabbits are well ingrained into the carpets you may need to get them cleaned and then after they are dry cover with cardboard for a good few weeks.

Back