• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and Illness? Why?

mattyp

Warren Veteran
It seems to be quite a big problem that rabbits get ill quite often, and suffer with a huge array of illnesses.
My two rabbits are in good health, but the amount of people here with ill bunnies has me really worried about the future.
I was wondering is it a fair assessment to say that rabbits are quite prone to illness? And why is this?
Have they been poorly bred over the years? Are X breeds healthier?
Or are they naturally not very good at fending off illness?
Do they get so ill in the wild?
And is another possible reason that they live much longer in our care than they would likely live in the wild?

Sorry for all the questions, it has been pestering my mind for ages! But i'm sure it may prove educational for many people!
Thankyouu :(

I think any species of animal (including ourselves) is 'prone' to being ill a lot. just now, the info about rabbits is increasing so things can be treated, and rabbits are living longer lives, meaning they have more 'time' to get ill.

I don't think its out of proportion with other animals, to be honest, but its obviously mentioned on here because thats what its for.

I think any species of animal (including ourselves) is 'prone' to being ill a lot. just now, the info about rabbits is increasing so things can be treated, and rabbits are living longer lives, meaning they have more 'time' to get ill.

I don't think its out of proportion with other animals, to be honest, but its obviously mentioned on here because thats what its for.

I see, maybe i've got the wrong idea assuming that every rabbit will one day get ill because there seems to be so many ill bunnies on here.

Sorry if you think i'm being OTT :lol:

I think perhaps, as Sky says, rabbit knowledge is increasing and so the exposure of said knowledge means we hear more about it.

If you hadnt found RU, you wouldnt know any more and i think that goes for pretty much all sources of information.

If the news wasnt shown on tv for example, you wouldnt necessarily know there was a problem etc.

I think perhaps, as Sky says, rabbit knowledge is increasing and so the exposure of said knowledge means we hear more about it.

If you hadnt found RU, you wouldnt know any more and i think that goes for pretty much all sources of information.

If the news wasnt shown on tv for example, you wouldnt necessarily know there was a problem etc.

Very true. I guess whereas I might have pre-RU just thought one of my rabbits was acting a bit odd, now I would now it may be a symptome of something worse.

I think it varies from rabbit to rabbit too, I have one bun who is always at the vets for one problem or another but then I have another who has only so far (touch wood) ever had to go to get her jabbies 3 times a year! My others are all somewhere inbetween (I have 6!)

I think rabbits are like any other animal and can be prone to illness, I think the main reason we all write about it here is because we know everyone else on here is like minded when it comes to bunnies, but not everyone in the non RU world is like that!! When my bunny had really bad snuffles once I didn't think twice about leaving work early to go and take her to the vets, but my boss didn't see it that way in his words "it's just a bloody rabbit, if it dies you can buy a new one for 20 quid" :evil::censored: But yet I am sure everyone here feels the same way as I do about my bosses comment!!

Thats why you hear so much about illness on here I think :D

Its a HUGE forum....youre bound to hear negative stories and such like.
Just thank your lucky stars and keep praying to that Bunny God........

I know what you mean. I'm constantly paranoid after losing my Mable when she was so young. I'm scared of Charlie getting poorly

I think as with anything some just have weaker immune systems than others and are prone to illness. My sister is always picking up colds and bugs but I never seem to. Yes I have a very very poorly bunny, but I also have 10 more who have never given me cause for concern and touch wood never will. Don't waste time worrying about things which are out of control, just enjoy your bunnies. :D

I have been quite fortunate with my bunnies. 2 passed away of old age at 7 and half and 9 years of age. I got them as rescues when they were 6 months old.
Neither of them got ill once. One passed away overnight with no ill health signs and my other one of a heart attack.

My Sunshine is now 7 or 8. Rescued so unsure of age. I have had him for over 4 years and no health problems either.

Only my Nancy was ill and passed away. The vets never really did find the exact cause and she was staying at the vets. I had her for 3 years.

I do worry more now because of this.

Back