• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

EC? What do i look for?

MichG

Mama Doe
I just found out that Patch's brother (both 4 months old) has developed a head tilt due to EC. I just wonder what I need to watch out with mine? Just incase he has had it since birth too?

He is going to the vets on Sat for his VHD jab so the vet is going to weigh him and put him on a 28 day course of Lapizole. But just incase, is a head tilt the main thing to watch for?

I just found out that Patch's brother (both 4 months old) has developed a head tilt due to EC. I just wonder what I need to watch out with mine? Just incase he has had it since birth too?

He is going to the vets on Sat for his VHD jab so the vet is going to weigh him and put him on a 28 day course of Lapizole. But just incase, is a head tilt the main thing to watch for?

Not necessarily. Also, headtilt is not ALWAYS a symptom of EC, it can also occur as a result of a middle ear infection.

Here is some info about EC, including various symptoms :

http://wildlife1.wildlifeinformation.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Encephalitozoonosis.htm

As Jane mentioned, head tilt can be associated with EC, among other causes. Urinary incontinence, hind leg weakness, altered balance, inflammation of the inside of the eye, cataracts, increased susceptibility to infection and altered reflexes are included in the more common symptoms. It is far better to treat this parasite before it becomes a problem so certainly a 28day course of panacur is the best way to proceed. It may be sensible to start this a few days after the vaccination is given, as long courses can affect the immune system and may decrease the efficacy of vaccination slightly if given at the same time.

I think, as with any health issue, it's important to know what's normal for your bun and see any change in behaviour as a warning sign that something may be wrong and make sure you check it out- it may be as subtle as hiding in an unusual place or wanting to sleep more than normal.

Unfortunately there may be no warning at all- when Tippex first developed EC 3 years ago she was suddenly paralysed- luckily she recovered after only a few days with prompt vet treatment.

As well as the 28 day course of panacur or lapizole, I think the key to helping prevent the symptoms of EC developing is to avoid unnecessary stress whenever possible xx

It sounds soooo horrible!!
Fingers crossed the Lapizole will work!!

Thank goodness he seems fine in his self at the moment and no head tilt or any of the other signs!! He just just as hyperactive as normal!!

head tilt

my rabbit has go a head tilt i went to see her today and she just had it she rolls when wepick her do u know wats rong with her. HELP.:wave: andis it contages as she lives with her best friend bubbles.

my rabbit has go a head tilt i went to see her today and she just had it she rolls when wepick her do u know wats rong with her. HELP.:wave: andis it contages as she lives with her best friend bubbles.

You need to get your Rabbit to a Vet as headtilt requires treatment with medication only available from a Veterinary Surgeon.

Aswell as EC (Encephalitozoon Cuniculi, a parasite which can effect the brain, kidneys and other organs) headtilt can be caused by a middle ear infection, but BOTH conditions are potentially very serious and prompt Veterinary attention is ALWAYS necessary to give the Rabbit the best chance of making a recovery.

Last edited:

Yes it is contageous so you need to get her treated and bubbles.

Get them to a vet ASAP and let us know how it goes

Back