• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you fill the entire hutch floor with hay or not?

Do you fill the entire hutch floor with hay or not?

• Yes i like my bunnies to be comfy

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • No - i only put it in the litter boxes as hay everywhere encourages tolieting everywhere

Votes: 22 39.3%
  • No i don't have hay on the floor- it's in hay racks only and i use other bedding in the hutch

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • Other...

Votes: 12 21.4%

• Total voters
Just the bedding area in Blossom's hutch but I'm going to start using it everywhere as from her next clean out as she just pulls up the newspaper and pees on it. :roll: :lol: She doesn't pee in her bedroom area and that's where her hay is so I know that putting it everywhere wont make a difference to her using her litter tray. :D

Awww bless :) I dont think it matters on how much you fill the hutch. As long as they have plenty to stay warm. Although mine do like to munch away on it, which is why most of it dissapears! ;) x

I put hay in litter trays and in mangers in their bedrooms to try to enourage them to go in there when it is very cold as generally they don't use their bedrooms much (Olive not at all). Lots of shredded paper in bedrooms (just in case they deign to go in) and Olive has straw downstairs next to her litter tray as she likes to sleep there. Rest of floor areas have nothing - am I mean?

Yes, but just cheap Pets at Home hay, then they have Burns hays in their racks :) and straw in their litter tray.

I have readibed all over the floor and in litter tray. They have a handful of hay beside their litter tray and more in a rack downstairs. Their bed area is layered with readibed then lots of straw then lots of farm hay. I am very lucky that my friend who owns a livery yard let's me take hay for my buns for free. Really helps especially with foster buns!

Lino on the floor of the crate, a underbed storage box with a corner tray in the box filled wit megazorb and then hay in the rest of the storage box :wave:

I cover Twinkle and Sparkle's playhouse floor in hay as regardless of what I do Twinkle poops and wees where she likes :roll::lol:

In Pickle and Pootle's playhouse they have litter boxes mainly as they are cleaner.

Mine don't have hutches but I kinda regard their rooms as big hutches ;)

So lino, then hay and bedding in the litter trays, blankets on the floor.

They have farm hay in racks, littertrays and a big pile in there run corner.
Then they have Tesco cheaper hay on floor of there playhouse with vetbed under.
The trio use there litter tray 100% of the time. The pair 98% of the time

Slightly different spin because our babies are indooes but we line their house with vet bed then blankets on top, they have 3 differnet boxes with different hays in- 2 they use as a feeding and toilet area and one that has the best hay in just for eating.

I don't feed my rabbit's hay...it's far too messy! ;)

ETA: *ahem*...yes...I'm in an odd mood today!:oops::roll:

They have it in litter trays.

I don't feed my rabbit's hay...it's far too messy! ;)

:lol::lol::lol: Me neither - they just get leftovers off our plates (roast dinner, spag bol, bacon sarnie etc). :lol::lol:

Serious answer now: hay is just in the litter trays and then a pile on top of their hideout. If I put it anywhere else Bubbles seems to think it gives her a licence to pee on it. :roll: :lol:

I didn't think wood chips were good for buns?

Me neither, its bad for the oils in their fur and one of my buns is allergic to it!

My outside buns have a 2 story hutch attached to their run, I put hay in the downstairs only. I used to put it upstairs too but they just used to move it all downstairs :roll: They also have a litter tray with wood pellet litter and covered in hay.

My garage buns have a single story hutch which is covered with newspaper and then hay for at night and during the day they go in a run in the garden and just have grass (and veg and herbs)

My indoor bun just has hay everywhere. I have given up trying to contain it. He just spreads it around :roll:

my 2 outdoor buns have newspaper then megazorb then a thick layer of hay over the entire 2 storey hutch and in their house in the day run. they are rexes and i don't want sore feet. Plus they will never run out of nibbles :lol:

This is how we do our bunny beds for our own buns and boarders, these have to have hay racks put in them yet which will be put in this afternoon as they are new hutches.

17-2-11003.jpg

Back