• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Poo advice, have taken a pic. Could it be a new diet ? Is it a special poo ?

Barn Yard Bunnies

Staff member
found this not long ago when cleaning out hutch. I am certain it is not Sunshines but my new rescue bunnies one as she is not litter trained.

Both their diets have changed. She was only fed on oats before I got her. She is on tons of hay and a little muesli. (I know, Sunshine is being weaned off).
Some carrot today.

Also litter tray not as wet it used to be but both drinking well and both healthy and alert. Although as my new bunny is not litter trained, how much does the bedding and hay absorb ?

S6307290.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a ceacotroph(i know thats spelt wrong btw :oops:) aka special poos -they're the poos the buns are supposed to eat directly from their bottoms, normally passed in the evening/night time, you shouldn't really ever see them so if you do and there's not a physical reason the bun can't eat from his bottom, then it's likely to be dietary - a change in diet, too much veg/a new veg or some people experience them with excel nuggets, although i've not personally had a problem with them.

Do any of these things apply?

I'm no expert on special poos but these are the first things i'd look for if i started fidning them

My little Pixie had a few of these recently, I cut down her pellets and the fruit and veg I usually gave her then increased her hay but this made no difference then I cut her down to a quarter of a fengueek crunchie a day (from two a day) and it's done the trick, no more excess cecals (sorry I can't spell it eaither)! The problem was I just couldn't resist her pretty little face just begging me for another treat - she's such a darling but mummy is going to have to try and over come her guilt :D

Looks like a ceacotroph(i know thats spelt wrong btw :oops:) aka special poos -they're the poos the buns are supposed to eat directly from their bottoms, normally passed in the evening/night time, you shouldn't really ever see them so if you do and there's not a physical reason the bun can't eat from his bottom, then it's likely to be dietary - a change in diet, too much veg/a new veg or some people experience them with excel nuggets, although i've not personally had a problem with them.

Do any of these things apply?

I'm no expert on special poos but these are the first things i'd look for if i started fidning them

Yes. My new bunny was recently rescued, as far as I am aware she was only fed on oats by breeders and very little else. She was underweight too. So she is probably new to hay, along with everything she is eating. And it hasn't taken her long to know what veggies she wants and to stare and me and make me feel guilty.

I have introduced veggies very slowly in in small amounts as I would assume she has never had them before.

There is no special poo in there today. I have excel but not given it to them in a few days. They don't like it anyway. I am meant to be weaning my other bunny off muesli but he is not happy about it. I intend to order some SS for mature rabbits.

In an ideal world you would change her diet as slowly as poss mixing new food with old but given her previous diet was just oats it kinda makes that difficult. If it continues I'd probably be inclined to cutting her back to mainly hay maybe a few pellets/mix and let her belly get used to that change first before you gradually introduce veg. I know you are already taking things slowly, but the hay and mix itself is a big change for her little tummy already..

The most common cause of excess casecals is I diet which is too high in protein and not enough fibre.

Obviously any changes in diet need to be done slowly and you have the disadvantage of having a rabbit which is not too familiar with hay and also on a museli diet, most of which is low in fibre.

I am assuming that this rabbit has been vet checked and that you have a rough weight for it, if you haven't it is always a good idea to be able to closely monitor its weight if making changes in a rabbits diet.

My suggestion would be to very slightly reduce each day the amount of dried food you give until they are getting around an egg cup a day for each bun whilst encouraging them to increase their hay intake by offering a variety of hays.

Then slowly change over their diet to a lower protein, higher fibre food such as Science Selective.

Adding some probiotics to the water for a short period of time can also help which increases the good bacteria in the gut.

In an ideal world you would change her diet as slowly as poss mixing new food with old but given her previous diet was just oats it kinda makes that difficult. If it continues I'd probably be inclined to cutting her back to mainly hay maybe a few pellets/mix and let her belly get used to that change first before you gradually introduce veg. I know you are already taking things slowly, but the hay and mix itself is a big change for her little tummy already..

Very true. She really seems to want to make up for lost time. Now she knows what decent food is she comes a running to me hoping for some veg. I have laid off the celery though. If I put any veg in she eats it too quickly. So I only put in small cubes now. The hutch is mainly stuffed with just hay now.

Back