• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pie's stasis - The ongoing saga :(

Pie

Warren Veteran
Im sorry this might be long.

I had a suspicion over the last couple of weeks that Pie had cystitis or a kidney problem, because she was drinking and weeing alot.

Last saurday I had to take her to the vets urgently as she was showing signs of stasis. Got to the vets and naturally she perked up. Was given Fibreplex, Baytril and Zantac and some Katkor for a urine sample.

She got slightly better and yesterday I put the Katkor into her litter tray, she then went and ate one of the plastic balls, so that was unsuccessful.

Went for a job interview in London this morning, came back to find her alittle bit subdued but thought she was just sleepy as was her time for a nap.
After 2 hours she was as bad as ever and it was full blown stasis. I felt her tummy and it was packed full of poo's. She was making these retching/straining motions which are very disstressing to watch too. :(
So to the vets we went. Again. She is now 1.56kg where as on saturday she was about 1.6 (not a huge difference but a difference none the less). The vet gave her an injection and gave us the option of keeping her in over night or taking her home and giving her water mixed with pineapple juice and abit of fresh lettuce & greens.

If she has not improved by later on tonight or first thing tomorrow morning she will need to be kept in at the vets for 24-48hrs. If she doesn't improve then, we will have to think about saying goodbye. :cry:

I can't stand the thought in loosing her to this, I am crying as I type but I would rather her be at the vets where they can put her out of her pain quickly rather than have her here and watch her suffer.
I can't live without my Pie, she's not even 2 yet! :( :cry: :( :cry:

Please, please, please if you can spare any vibes for her please send them her way. She really needs them at the moment. :(

what do they think is wrong to even suggest the pts option :cry:

loads of vibes xxx

eta - sorry i just re-read and saw its the kidneys, do the bloodtests show its bad :cry:

i think kidney issues can be managed with treatment so it might not be goodbys this soon xxxx

Last edited:
Oh no not poor little Pie again :cry: I'm quite shocked they are talking pts!!!! There are lots of 'stasis' bunnies on here and some have done miraculously well with a simple change of diet! Donnas Alvin is a perfect example! Bunnies can go into stasis from pain elsewhere in their body unrelated to their digestive tract so did you manage to find out if she had a urinary tract problem? Sending tons of vibes that your beautiful little Pie picks up quickly!

Blimey why are they suggesting PTS without any diagnostics ??

Has she had pain relief ?

What were her poos like in the 24 hours preceding this episode ?

Oh no not poor little Pie again :cry: I'm quite shocked they are talking pts!!!! There are lots of 'stasis' bunnies on here and some have done miraculously well with a simple change of diet! Donnas Alvin is a perfect example! Bunnies can go into stasis from pain elsewhere in their body unrelated to their digestive tract so did you manage to find out if she had a urinary tract problem? Sending tons of vibes that your beautiful little Pie picks up quickly!

Alvin's bloods showed its wasnt his kidneys tho... have no idea how long he would of had left if hed been confirmed as terminal :(

turns out Alvin's Stress hormone is very high (for a rabbit) and probably his diet was not natural enough, now we have blips but nothing as bad as it was :D

then theres Judy's thumper who was given just a few months :( he has definately made a miracle recovery using a new drug :D.

suppose it depends on the diagnosis, blood tests and xrays to determine how long a bunny can hang on for before we have to say goodbye :(..

Pearl lasted 9 months with an enlarged heart, medicine is pretty amazing now days and its not as bad as we first fear :wave:

Oh yes I forgot Mr Alvins probs were a combo of diet and stress!! But still a miraculous turnaround after the diet change :D

Maybe Pies probs are a basic urinary infection and she just goes into stasis with any pain?! Hope it's something really easily fixable!

The vets are a very good, very bunny savvy vet. When they saw her she was so listless, she didnt even care how you handled her - not very Pie like.

Her poo's have been looking normal, maybe a tiny bit smaller with the odd dark one thrown in but otherwise a nice golden colour and good even size.
She is still only on Baytril and Fibreplex but the injection was a pretty big one.

Her water intake went from 500mls a day to about 250mls - not ideal but massive improvement.
She is not a stressed bunny at all, just has a very sensitive tummy. She has nibbled some hay and alfalfa cubes, and is on abit of Brussels. But still not drank yet.

It's looking up but I have a feeling I'll be up with her for most of the night. Its very distressing seeing her like this, I thought I was used to her bouts of stasis but this is the worst it's ever been!

Thanks for all you thoughts and questions.

If it really is just a dietary thing then it is definately worth trying the more natural diet others have used! Sending more vibes I've only seen one bunny in full blown stasis when they are non responsive, it really is very scary and stressful so hugs for you too! May the magic metacam/vetergesic and fluids work their wonders!!

Oh no poor little Pie :( she's so beautiful. Sending tons and tons of vibes from me, Olly and Honey xxx get Nomming Pie! :love:

Did she get any fluids at the vet? My vet will give pain relief, gut stimulant and sub cut fluids if any of my bunnies aren't eating. If she's in pain she won't want to eat much I imagine, poor Pie.

Oh no, not Pie :cry: I hope she gets better quickly and along with your vet and some of the extremely knowledgable people here on RU, that you can find a way of "managing" her stasis problems. Masses of vibes for her xxx

Back