• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Harper has escaped SHE IS HOME

sally1974

Wise Old Thumper
Harper escaped from the garden and all day me and the neighbours have been trying to catch her, she just wont let me get close enough :-( I have been out with her since 10:00a.m this morning and can still see her now but it is no use :-( behind my house is fields and a nature reserve but immediately at the back of my fence is thick thorn bushes that run down the end of everyones house and she just wont come out, she is quite happy eating all the leaves and hopping from bush to bush. my garden is all rabbit proofed but wild rabbits have dug the fencing up from the otherside and that is how she got out(I found a hole). She was only speyed 3 weeks ago and her partner Elliot will be missing her. What can I do?

Last edited:
Can't somebody help you capture him?
Sending lots of vibes for safe return xxx

I have had the neighbours out with me, some of whom I have never even spoken to before they have all been brilliant, but it is just not working. I honestly haven't stopped all day. I have been in tears. I just want her to come back:cry:

If she's staying close to the house there's every chance she'll come back. Can you sit out and call gently perhaps with Elliot nearby as she'll be more liklely to return if he's there. lots of people will frighten her more though i understand the need to catch her asap. But I think a quiet approach may be worth a try. Hope she comes back soon-thinking of you.

Oh no. :( Can you use food to encourage her back into your garden then get someone to block the hole up behind her? Sorry, that's probably what you've been trying to do all day! I don't know what to suggest. I'd come help if I was closer. Sending lots of vibes for her safe return xx

If she's staying close to the house there's every chance she'll come back. Can you sit out and call gently perhaps with Elliot nearby as she'll be more liklely to return if he's there. lots of people will frighten her more though i understand the need to catch her asap. But I think a quiet approach may be worth a try. Hope she comes back soon-thinking of you.

I have tried doing it by myself and then having help, nothing works it is a nightmare. I have left the hole open just willing her to come through it but she won't. Elliot has been with me but she doesn't seem bothered. I am in tears and she is having a brilliant time by the looks of it :cry:

oh no! Im so sorry!:cry:

Id try food in her regular bowl and shake the packet (obviously if this is what youd normally do at dinner time..) she proabbly will want to come back and is staying close to where she can see you her self.......Have a you pen or something you could put near her with her food and water and anything she is familiar with? Perhaps her partner in a cat carrier...she may come to see him? Then close the pen area off?:?

Sorry just ideas..may not be the best just do hope she is safe & comes home to you xxx

I have tried doing it by myself and then having help, nothing works it is a nightmare. I have left the hole open just willing her to come through it but she won't. Elliot has been with me but she doesn't seem bothered. I am in tears and she is having a brilliant time by the looks of it :cry:
sorry to hear that she escaped

what about getting a load of all her favourite foods that she loves
as in all the stuff that she is restricted to normally
and kind of making a trail for her to follow

ending in a big plate full of this food on the right side of the fence?

Thanks everyone for all your advice. I have tried everything I just hope she remembers what hole she came through and comes back through it. It is dark now so I can't do much more tomight. I am so worried about her:cry:

Also she isn't scared of anything because my dog and cats get on brilliantly with her, my cats have been sitiing in the thorn bushes with her today. There are foxes in the back field as well. I don't think she has much fear of anything:cry:

Rounding he up into a pen might be the easiest option. Do you find she runs the same paths to escape you each time? You need as large a pen as possible so a roll of net and some poles or a couple of play pens linked, a big entrance that so she doesn't realise she's going into an enclosed area, then gradually shrink the pen. You could also try it so it's like a triangle with the hole back to your garden at the point. The wide end won't initially look like a trap but once she's in it she'll follow the walls down to the gap.

You might find a local wildlife rescue has some net etc. for when they have to capture wild animals. You could also ask them or any local rescue if they have a cat trap and bate that with carrots etc.

Rounding he up into a pen might be the easiest option. Do you find she runs the same paths to escape you each time? You need as large a pen as possible so a roll of net and some poles or a couple of play pens linked, a big entrance that so she doesn't realise she's going into an enclosed area, then gradually shrink the pen. You could also try it so it's like a triangle with the hole back to your garden at the point. The wide end won't initially look like a trap but once she's in it she'll follow the walls down to the gap.

You might find a local wildlife rescue has some net etc. for when they have to capture wild animals. You could also ask them or any local rescue if they have a cat trap and bate that with carrots etc.

Agreed a local wildlife rescue will help. I know a man who's run one who's helped catch many loose pets before as well as wild ones. x

OMG OMG she came home, I can't believe it as soon as I stopped tring there she was. She was by her hutch. I cannot believe it whoopeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Thanks so much everyone:love::love::love:

Thank God. So please for you. :wave:

Thank you, it is pitch black outside but out of the corner of my eye I saw her, I shouted for my hubby to get his backside out and help luckily she is bright white so she was easy to spot I have never been so relieved in my life:love::love::love:

Back