• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to keep neighbour hood cats AWAY from your buns?

whitehood

Warren Veteran
Updated.
I have stray cats that sit on my neighbours garage roofs and I get nervous when I see them for my buns what should I do? :roll:

Last edited:
Pomme use to not really like human interaction much until I introduced her to herbs. Now when I am sat on the floor she will sometimes hop onto my legs and let me stroke her. :love:

Also if I walk over to her whilst she is in her pen she will come over expecting herbs off me. :lol:

I guess the best thing is patience and time for a nervous rabbit?

Please dont 'corner' your bunny just to stroke him :(

Sit on the floor with your bun, have treats and let him come to you :D
Curiosity will get the better of him and he might adventure over to you, then you can offer him a treat and a noserub :)

Not ideal in winter I know, but I'll sit in the run reading a book and let the buns clambour all over me. Then once they are confident I'll give them strokes, nose rubs etc.

Yea because I need advice on this thread more than the other thread :\
I mean this is more urgent ..
I'll post that thread again later
Sorry

Not ideal in winter I know, but I'll sit in the run reading a book and let the buns clambour all over me. Then once they are confident I'll give them strokes, nose rubs etc.

i do this! :)

i sit for hours reading just so they get to trust and know me. let them come to you and sniff without you reaching out, then gradually offer little titbits and stroke the nose and sides of the face. if they back off, leave them to come back to you.. they will eventually just because they are naturally curious!!
i sometimes put little bits of food on my legs or nearby to encourage them to come close or climb on me. let them know they won't be grabbed! :D

Updated.
I have stray cats that sit on my neighbours garage roofs and I get nervous when I see them for my buns what should I do? :roll:

You could of just added that question onto the end of your other question :?

Are your buns in a run or free range?

Yea because I need advice on this thread more than the other thread :\
I mean this is more urgent ..
I'll post that thread again later
Sorry

how confusing :? why not just start another thread?
when your buns are free ranging you will have to watch them.

You can put citrus peels around the garden to try and keep them away. Cats hate citrus. However, if you feel they are of an immediate threat the best thing to have is a water gun and spray water at them. Most cats won't come back after they get squirted a few times. Dont use a hose on full blast as you could hurt them. Stick with a water gun that is enough to get them wet but not soaking.

You can put citrus peels around the garden to try and keep them away. Cats hate citrus. However, if you feel they are of an immediate threat the best thing to have is a water gun and spray water at them. Most cats won't come back after they get squirted a few times. Dont use a hose on full blast as you could hurt them. Stick with a water gun that is enough to get them wet but not soaking.

Water seems a good way of keeping them away/moving them on.

But you will need to watch your bunnies, or keep a close eye out in the garden while they free range. If you cant then i would buy them runs and then let them out free ranging when you can watch them :wave:

Are they strays? or are they neighbours cats?

If they are strays you could ask the RSPCA to come and collect them?
But it would depend on their behaviour whether or not they get rehomed or pts :(

1 of them must be in a run?
because his rabbits aren't bonded and he says that within a few minutes they fight.

so they can't both be free range until 6pm?

correct me if i am wrong?

I let jack out in the morning until 3 then put him in our garage at 3 I let lucky out and at 6 put him in our house.
They are kept separate and let out on a timetable.

I let jack out in the morning until 3 then put him in our garage at 3 I let lucky out and at 6 put him in our house.
They are kept separate and let out on a timetable.

Will be so much easier for you when theyre bonded:D
I would try the water soakers on the cats too.. Very worrying for you!

Back