• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Revamp Ideas Help :D

allie1904

Mama Doe
The new pen should be here in a few days so I am gathering all the new bits and bobs together ready to be ordered ready for when it gets here, it should be here by the weekend :D Means more space for them at night but still free range in the day.

I have thought about using the base of their old cage as a litter tray but it just seems far to big, so I'll be getting a new litter tray. Is straw or megazorb (sp?) okay to use as litter rather than the bunny litter I have here. Is it easy to redirect bunnies wees and poos when going out with old, I don't want to confuse the poor fellas. I know they will probably want to mark their territory again so I'm expecting a little bit of mess to begin with.

What sort of bed do you think they should have? Is it okay to just have a nice cushty fleecey blanket or do they still need a tray bed as such? They have a puddy tat bed which they use in the day out of the hutch but shall I put that there at night with them?

Ermm..I want a diggy box to. What can I put in here? Can they diffrentiate between straw and hay? Is it okay to bury treats in there?

Can I finally get rid of the woodshavings cos I really don't like them? They don't need an absorbant bed as such if they are litter trained do they.

They will have things to hide in too :)

Any ideas and advice is welcome :wave:

By all means get rid of wood shavings, they aren't at all ideal for bunnies anyway ;)

Mine just have fleece blankets to lay on although my lionheads have taken particular liking to an old cat litter tray with a towel in it.

As for litter trays I've found the best thing is underbed storage boxes with megazorb or newspaper and then masses of hay on top.

As for a digging box, are they indoors? Cos if so you might not want to use soil or sand ;) My lops have an old carrier with the door removed and a newspaper inside, they love digging this.

Hay in a litter box? That must cost alot? espescially changing it everyday? is straw not suitable? or can I use megasorb? xx

Most rabbits like to poo and munch so by putting hay where you want them to do their business you usually find they litter train much more easily. You can just put hay one end. I do waste a lot of hay but as I get it by the bale for £6.50 I don't mind. It also then gets reused as compost. ;)

Hmm..I get my hay normal price so it would cost me about £2 a day just to litter and feed them, where as at the moment the hay lasts a good amount of time.

OH has just rained on my parade :( They just don't get it sometimes do they, I know he loves the buns but he doesn't understand whats wrong with what we already have or why I wan't them to try different hays and have fresh herbs. I try explaining to him all my new knowledge but he just doesn't get it. £300 on new IT things though, not a problem..

Huff!

You could try just newspaper at the bottom and a pile of hay one end. Hopefully they will pee the end of the newspaper and keep the hay unsoiled. Or megazorb with newspaper on top and then the hay.

The problem with using megazorb without hay over is it does tend to get trodden around. There is no way I can leave it uncovered with Smudge around cos his fur is like velcro and picks up all sorts of stuff.

Ok then. Thankyou for the help!! I'm sure I'll figure it out ;)

OH has just put a stop on my buying though, he says wait for the pen first..:censored: It's things I want to get them regardless of the sodding well pen, arguing over a willow carrot for petes sake :shock:

Oh dear, I can hear smudge sneezing..:cry:

Aw. I don't have anyone looking over my shoulder fortunately. My money is mine to spend. Although I do listen to my parents if they think something is unnecessary. They sometimes help me with vet bills but that's usually all.

Try finding a place to get hay bales if you have somewhere you can store it. That cut down on how much I spent immensely.

My savings are mine to spend so I thought LOL :shock:

We haven't got a shed or anything so not alot going in the sense of storage
xxx

That's a shame. it still might be worth you having a look round cos the place I go to sells big bags of hay for £1. Or if there is anyone else you know with bunnies you could maybe split a bale and the cost between you?

Back