• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chewing the hutch

Indy

Warren Scout
Even though both buns have hay & hide tunnels, willow balls, apple sticks, gnawstones, hay racks, toys, free range, veg... theyre still insisting on trying to eat their entire hutch.

I bought some anti chew (Johnsons) and plastered the hutch in that but they dont seem to care. It tastes foul... i got some on my lip by accident so i can vouch for that! But what else can i use to stop them chewing!?

My boys have loads of toys to chew - but the hutch legs are preferable :lol:

Not sure what you can do to stop it, tho. I just get mum to make new hutch legs every so often :oops:

Sorry to say but once they find something that they love chewing, its hard to make them stop! My Rodge has an obsession with books! :shock:

I used white vinegar on my hutch and that worked. Could only buy it in a glass bottle but then tranferred it into an empty bunny friendly antibacterial spray bottle. Needs to re spray every now and then but they hate the smell and its safe.

I personally just get aluminium L edges and screw them over any accessible corners. Problem solved!

I have this problem, she actually shreds the wood from the middle. I'm a bit worried when it's summer time as I can now see the light through the thinnest parts of the hutch. I have atm put some wood in front of the worst parts, ie propped up a flattened wood arch you can get. Seems to have stopped her for the moment...

She's currently shredding a new box from the middle...I don't know how she manages to get her little mouth around the flat surface to shred it!

I have some distilled white vinegar i used for cleaning the bottom of the hutch so will give that a go... although knowing my luck i'll go in the next morning and they'll be sharing a packet of chips, rubbing the odd one on the hutch and the rest on the salt block!

Back