• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Straw based cat litter? U/D It's safe to use :).. U/D P6 might not be safe!!

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
It's 'Natural Friendly Cat Litter' it looks like the wood pellets, is made of straw and smells very strongly of mint.... is it safe? Will they eat it? Will it do any harm if they do?

Thanksies anybody who is able to advise. I had to buy it in a hurry now I'm worried about using it as it smells so good I think they might be tempted to eat it :oops:

Like the fool that I am I forgot to order Megazorb from THE despite that being the reason I did the order when I did, the order arrived with no Megazorb because dozy forgot to add it :roll: So, today we have run out of litter, so hope I can use the stuff I've just forked out £12 for :shock::oops::oops:

Last edited:
:wave: Anybody know?

I need to clean their potties out and I'm not going out for a few days so I might have to give it a go as I can watch them. I have to say it looks more like animal feed than cat litter :shock:

I e-mailed the company and got this response, in all of 10 minutes :shock::D:D

"Thank you for your email. The 'mint' flavouring we use to get the minty
smell is human food grade so it is perfectly safe for rabbits as well if
they decided they wanted to eat it. And as you say it is made from straw so
that would not cause they any issues at all.

We have in the past come across consumers of our cat litter who use it for
their rabbits and they have been very happy with it.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require any further information."

Their website is brilliant, they are the same people who make readigrass, which I hadn't twigged before. They also make a hemp product for hutches. I think I will be trying that as well.

http://www.friendshipestates.co.uk/hutch-hemp/view-all-products.html

:D:D:D Result :D

Last edited:
U/D a few weeks on...

After seeing Binky's x-ray this morning and being told he went into stasis because he had an extremely full stomach but not a blockage, I've been wondering 'how?'

I was told the only explanation for the stomach being so full but having not emptied could be that he gorged himself ... but I've been wondering how.. he had just eaten some SS/Excel pellets, shared with his brother but even if he ate them all himself it couldn't be enough to cause the problems it did. All he could have 'filled up on' during the day was hay :? He had had a few dandelions/grass about 5 hours earlier but surely that wouldn't have done it.

Then the penny dropped - there is something else he could have gorged on and it's the cat litter!!!! I have seen him eat a few pieces of it but I was told it was safe, maybe even beneficial so though little of it. It didn't cause a blockage but I'm wondering if his stasis episode is down to this product and I think it is highly likely. Just a heads up for anybody who might be thinking of trying this product.

Last edited:
Great, ta. I get my megazorb from a local equine supplier which saves a lot on postage but they only get it in on Wednesday's so I have had to buy other stuff when not organised enough and it's good to know what to avoid.:wave:

After seeing Binky's x-ray this morning and being told he went into stasis because he had an extremely full stomach but not a blockage, I've been wondering 'how?'

I was told the only explanation for the stomach being so full but having not emptied could be that he gorged himself ... but I've been wondering how.. he had just eaten some SS/Excel pellets, shared with his brother but even if he ate them all himself it couldn't be enough to cause the problems it did. All he could have 'filled up on' during the day was hay :? He had had a few dandelions/grass about 5 hours ago but surely that wouldn't have done it.

Then the penny dropped - there is something else he could have gorged on and it's the cat litter!!!! I have seen him eat a few pieces of it but I was told it was safe, maybe even beneficial so though little of it. It didn't cause a blockage but I'm wondering if his stasis episode is down to this product and I think it is highly likely. Just a heads up for anybody who might be thinking of trying this product.

A very good point

Personally I no longer use any type of Cat Litter as IMO the potential for harm is there if the Rabbit ingests alot of it.

I am the same about cardboard too.

A very good point

Personally I no longer use any type of Cat Litter as IMO the potential for harm is there if the Rabbit ingests alot of it.

I am the same about cardboard too.

I agree I think eating megazorb contributed to joejoes stasis and also eating loo roll tubes. Ive gone back to pets at home wood pellets as theyve never eaten them, but jane, what do you put in yourlitter trays?

Shredded paper topped off with hay :)

I've always put paper in the same category as cardboard (in my head it's the same thing) but it's obviously well tried and tested with all your bunnies. Is it the case that because it's not so dense as cardboard it would 'pass through' more easily if they did eat it?

We have shredders at work and I'm sure they would be quite happy for me to take a bag of shredded paper ever now and again. I'm quite happy with Megazorb but I could definitely try the paper as well, could safe a few quid.

I used this straw-based litter in the outdoor hutch as we seemed to have flies hanging about all the time, no matter how clean the hutch was :? So I thought if I tried this stuff that smells very of mint the flies wouldn't be as attracted. Bingo - it worked and it's also highly absorbent - best product I've used - but I suppose that would also be the swelling in the stomach scenario too :? It was expensive compared to Megazorb but was worth it to keep the files out. *sighs*.

I've been using just paper, they very rarely dig and shred it and when they do they don't eat it. I guess paper isn't as bad as cardboard in that it's likely to be smaller pieces if they do ingest it.

Back