• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Syringe feeding...

Sayrah82

Alpha Buck
Hi everyone.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice to make medicine time a bit less stressful for Mac (and me for that matter).

Its just me, so I've only got one pair of hands. I'm wrapping him up in a towel, which he's okay with, but the second I get my finger anywhere near his mouth he flinches and tries to hide. It take ages to get to the point where I can get the syringe in. Once it's in he's very good and doesn't try to spit it out.

I'm just really aware that stressing him out is not helpful in helping him get better - he's eating much better today, but we've still got another 5 and a half days of meds to get through...

Thanks in advance.

Sarah.x

What meds are you trying to give him?

I have put baytil in a sugar snap pea or mange tout. Slit the top and put it in, then bunny eats it.

Also on a basil leaf, on a bit of banana or even on a bit of bread. x

Yes, depending on what the meds are, you might be able to get them into them by other means. Spenser had baytril via curly kale. We were quite well into his 5 day course before he started to get suspicious. :wave:

Oscar is a bit of a weird one - he will actually suck it out of the syringe but a couple of days in gets bored so i slice a little way into a banana long ways and syringe the meds in. He then thinks he's getting something good!

I used the towel technique when I had to use a syringe with Peanut and she was very, very good bless her. I'm going to have to do the same with my new bun Roofus as of this Friday and I have a feeling it will be a little harder as he's not as used to being picked up as she is, so I think I'll have a banana on hand just in case the towel doesn't work :lol:

Jasper takes his metacam from the syringe with only the tiny bit of coaxing now. He fell for the banana once...never again!

Marmite....she was a nightmare. I tried metacam and baytril on dried food, treats, fruit, fresh food...she would only eat around it....somehow! Plus the times she had stassis when she wouldn't eat at all...puh!

If no other suggestions work, this worked with madam: put bunny on the floor and straddle him....without actually sitting on him obviously. It will stop him from moving backwards and sideways but also you have both hands free. Also aim just behind the front teeth, with the syringe, to the side of their mouth, there aren't any teeth there. It might sound harsh but once you get the hang of it, it'll be quick and at least you know they're getting all of what they need.
:)

I never use a syringe for anything unless it's injections.

A little bit of porridge works wonders...never had a bunny refuse it yet :?

I put any bunny that I'm medicating up on a high table and hold them securely under my arm. I then let them shuffle back into my arms and gently give them meds- it sometimes take awhile though but ive found it a stress free method.

I find it easiest to put them on the floor and kneel over the top of them so their bum is against your knees. You lean forward so your head is upside down and place one hand on the top of their head, the other delivers the medicine.

I never use a syringe for anything unless it's injections.

A little bit of porridge works wonders...never had a bunny refuse it yet :?

How do you make the porridge up? I need a new way to give Jasp his glucosamine tablet and the novelty of toast seems to have worn off! :lol:

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone.

Now that he's actually eating again, maybe incorporating it into food will work.
He's actually very good at lapping it up once I get the syringe in (marmitesmum, behind his front teeth is how the vet showed me to do it too) - its the not wanting to sit still/be poked at bit before hand that takes time!

Of course its catching him that'll be the problem now he's feeling a bit better - back to hating being picked up :roll:

Kermit, he's on Metoclopramide, Loxicom and Baytril (which I'm giving with the same amount of apple juice mixed in the syringe - the vets suggestion, much tastier that way apparently!).

Anyway, done with meds for another day and Mac snatched a fenugreek crunchie out of my hand, which he hasn't done for days, so we're both much happier!!

Are you lucky enough to have a little bunny tho? Its a god send Oscar likes food because otherwise a 6+ kilo bunny who is massively strong and leaves golf ball sized marks would be somewhat fun to medicate! :lol:

Are you lucky enough to have a little bunny tho? Its a god send Oscar likes food because otherwise a 6+ kilo bunny who is massively strong and leaves golf ball sized marks would be somewhat fun to medicate! :lol:

:lol: Yes Mac is small - 1.5kg - eek! I dread to think what I giant version of him would be like to medicate... painful I expect!

Back