• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What is calicivirus?

OMG.

That's VHD.

They are going to release VHD into the population.

I feel physically sick :(

VHD is a horrible, painful disease for bunnies :cry:

I think the comment sums it up well;

Why do the local council keep gamboling with our pets lives not to mention the native fauna's. Please stop poisoning our parks and recreational areas you cant garrentee you will recover all the poisoned animals as their nature is to take cover and hide when sick or injured. Leaving toxic carion in public parks is a crime to our native birds and reptiles who feed on this. Please stop poisoning our parks.

didn't they learn not to release **** after myxi got out of control?
that's so stupid :(
Myxi was becoming less effective so the farming lobby conned the government into "testing" calicivirus in a controlled island off the South Australian coast from where it strangely "escaped" into the mainland of the country.

Where is this they are releasing it sorry- there is mention of Australia- but that doesn't look like a publication for Australia or am i wrong?

Where is this they are releasing it sorry- there is mention of Australia- but that doesn't look like a publication for Australia or am i wrong?

It is the Manly Daily I think, a newspaper from the Manly-Warringah area of Sydney.

What the...????? Is this for real???
Its absolutely beyoned evil to expose innocent rabbits to VHD. i cant believe they are allowing this blatant cruelty :evil::cry:

Oh no, this is dreadful :cry::evil:

It seems people will never learn from past mistakes, no matter how devastating the consequences. :cry:

I don't condone the use of calicivirus, myxamatosis or indeed 1080 (sodium monofluoroacetate) poison. All of these either have been or are used to kill wild rabbits. We don't even know what effect they are having on the native fauna and reassurance from the farming lobby that there is not a problem does not give me a warm inner glow. But please also keep in mind that gardeners use snail and slug bait which in turn kills our native bluetongue skinks when they eat the poisoned snails and ringtail possums which eat the pellets directly. Talking to gardeners and asking them to refrain is like talking to a brick wall. They value their gardens over the lives of these beautiful native animals which have called this home for millenia.

In a perfect world there would be no poisons or diseases to kill off sometimes whole species. In the current imperfect world farmers have excessive influence over governments and get their way with these measures. I feel confident that a similar situation would also probably exist in the UK.

Back