• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Casper and Poppy - root tooth abcess's- U/D shes gone..

beccimarie

Mama Doe
im really sorry im hysterical, i went out to see casper and he was eating but he didnt seem right.. he was streching so my first thought was belly again, so i got the zantac on a leaf and he didnt take it so i went to get him out and had a massive shock... a huge lump on the side of his mouth.. i burst out crying.. i kow this is to do with his bad tooth.. obviously im taking him down the vets this morning emergancy!! but can people tell me about abecesses .. iv never experianced them before.. what will the vets do first.. it seems massive im so upset i didnt see it before, although my mum said abcess's can come up over night is this true? its huge.. im crying as i think this involves a op? will he make it through.. im just in pieces hes my little boy. Im glad he is still eating but i dont know how with that massive abcess there :cry:

U/D pictures on pages: 7,9,11,13,14,30,36,39,48,49

Last edited:
Yes, they can just appear.

My Inca recently had TWO on her back end, they just appeared!

Vets will probably drain the pus out, give you antibiotics and show you how to clean it and take the pus out. Manuka honey is really good for abcesses. You clean the pus out and then put the honey into the hole. Has to be manuka honey with as high a UMF as you can get.

Is the bad tooth getting treated?

im really sorry im hysterical, i went out to see casper and he was eating but he didnt seem right.. he was streching so my first thought was belly again, so i got the zantac on a leaf and he didnt take it so i went to get him out and had a massive shock... a huge lump on the side of his mouth.. i burst out crying.. i kow this is to do with his bad tooth.. obviously im taking him down the vets this morning emergancy!! but can people tell me about abecesses .. iv never experianced them before.. what will the vets do first.. it seems massive im so upset i didnt see it before, although my mum said abcess's can come up over night is this true? its huge.. im crying as i think this involves a op? will he make it through.. im just in pieces hes my little boy. Im glad he is still eating but i dont know how with that massive abcess there :cry:

Oh poor lad :cry:

Yes, abscesses can literally appear overnight. As it is likely to be associated with a tooth root infection then surgery will be needed. Skull radiographs would also be helpful to assess the extent of the infection. Then post op' aggressive antibiotic therapy (usually an injectable Penicillin and Metronidazole.Or perhaps Zithromax and Metronidazole) aswell as good ongoing analgesic cover.

Sending vibes xx

Yes, they can just appear.

My Inca recently had TWO on her back end, they just appeared!

Vets will probably drain the pus out, give you antibiotics and show you how to clean it and take the pus out. Manuka honey is really good for abcesses. You clean the pus out and then put the honey into the hole. Has to be manuka honey with as high a UMF as you can get.

Is the bad tooth getting treated?

Thank you, so no op involved? :cry: the tooth cannot be treated http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=265567 the molar cannot be removed due to several issues... i am devestated we have got through snuffle and bladder stones and dental all through 3 months now this.. does this mean he will have no choice but to try and remove the tooth which he only has a 10 per cent chance :cry: i cant deal with this, i love him so much

Oh poor lad :cry:

Yes, abscesses can literally appear overnight. As it is likely to be associated with a tooth root infection then surgery will be needed. Skull radiographs would also be helpful to assess the extent of the infection. Then post op' aggressive antibiotic therapy (usually an injectable Penicillin and Metronidazole.Or perhaps Zithromax and Metronidazole) aswell as good ongoing analgesic cover.

Sending vibes xx

jane... what if he doesnt make it through :cry: this is devastating...

Thank you, so no op involved? :cry: the tooth cannot be treated http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=265567 the molar cannot be removed due to several issues... i am devestated we have got through snuffle and bladder stones and dental all through 3 months now this.. does this mean he will have no choice but to try and remove the tooth which he only has a 10 per cent chance :cry: i cant deal with this, i love him so much

I have not had experience with tooth related abscesses, but i have treated 5 abscesses successfully with injectible abx, flushing with dilute iodine and manuka honey. I would speak to the vets, but if it was me i would want to try everything else before putting my baby through a very risky op, unless bunster had no option but to go for the op. I would do the op if the vets did advise it or if there was no sign of improvement with the initial treatment.

Must be terrible for you, hugs xx

I have not had experience with tooth related abscesses, but i have treated 5 abscesses successfully with injectible abx, flushing with dilute iodine and manuka honey. I would speak to the vets, but if it was me i would want to try everything else before putting my baby through a very risky op, unless bunster had no option but to go for the op. I would do the op if the vets did advise it or if there was no sign of improvement with the initial treatment.

Must be terrible for you, hugs xx

Thank you. Its awful, i just want him to be happy and pain free..
Iv just held up my tears and put on a smile went out and gave him his fav thing in the whole world which is pear :) he only has it on special occassions and he is running round trying to find them all.

I feel better knowing abcess's can come up over night.. i was punishiing myself for not noticing such a big thing.. i cant belive how big they look.. iv never had experiance with any of my buns having dental issues let alone abcess's.. i feel so alone :( i hope my vet is in today.. if not he is going to have to see someone :cry:

im trying to wait till 9 to go down as "vets now" take over untill 9 and i really do want to see one of the vets i know.. even if it isnt my vet. :(

im trying to wait till 9 to go down as "vets now" take over untill 9 and i really do want to see one of the vets i know.. even if it isnt my vet. :(

Waiting for an hour or so will be fine.
Hope that it is not as bad as it seems.
Mega millions of vibes from me for a good visit! x

thank you everyone, im feeling i bit better, as i just took him out for a free range and if you didnt see the lump you wouldnt know anything was wrong... in a way id rather him go through this while he is still strong. not long till the vets open now :)

iv made a little packed lunch "just incase" he has to stay there, with timothy hay,rocket,apple leaves and a sneeky bit of pear ;) and some pellets.

just a Q im guessing casper will need to stay in due to infection. will he be ok with the temp change do you think or maybe keep my windows open all night? and is he aloud to be with poppy?.. sorry im getting myself all wound up.. i have no idea what to expect :oops:

I would keep him with poppy, dont want to stress him out any. I have never separated my two and Inca has had EC, abscesses, sore flower....the list could go on.

Hopefully he won't need to stay in at the vets.

Dunno about bringing him in, someone else should be able to help with that one. I just have indoor buns, so not sure x

I would keep him with poppy, dont want to stress him out any. I have never separated my two and Inca has had EC, abscesses, sore flower....the list could go on.

Hopefully he won't need to stay in at the vets.

Dunno about bringing him in, someone else should be able to help with that one. I just have indoor buns, so not sure x

thank you, i hate sperating my two.. i have had to before to get a urine test from casper.. it was awful, so thats good news :) i have set up the dog crate in the conservatory where it is cooler "just incase" :)

Oh no, poor Casper :( I can imagine how you are feeling, so I hope you get soe positive news about treatment at the vets.

If its any help, Joejoe had an inoperable abscess behind his eye last year and it was successfully eradicated with intensive depocillin injections plus oral baytril and metacam, so I know it's easy to think the worst when you see one, but there are also good outcomes. Joes wasn't somewhere you could get honey on it but i have heard amazing things about the manuka too.

Good luck and sending positive vibes yours, Casper and Poppys way xxx

My old bun, Daisy had several of these type of abcesses throughout her nearly 10 years - she had a couple in the same sort of place as you say. My rabbit savvy vet always drained them and then she was on high levels of baytril (higher than drug company recommends) and in the latter years, depicillin injections too! (also Metacam in the first few days). She had the same problem - a dodgy tooth (which she had to have removed eventually) - I remember her first abcess - I was in a terrible panic too - and I suppose for the rest aswell (she also got a double one in her dewlap a couple of years after the mouth one). I can only say that as long as you trust your vet - they seem to be quite treatable in my experience - and I became a bit of an expert over Daisy's lifetime:) I hope your little bun is okay.

Last edited:
Back