• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ok, so now I'm REALLY worried about the dewlap...

Marreline

Warren Scout
...established that Stew is overweight.

His morning/evening intake consists of a fistful of kale, 4 coin sized pieces of carrot , a tiny amount of science selective dry food (he shares this with his mate). He always has a fresh supply of hay, which he does eat. In the evening he gets one carroty biscuit treat.

Didn't think this constituted over feeding, but clearly something is making him pile on the pounds. His (female) mate is in good shape. They both get 2 -3 hours of free range time in the garden every day, and he dashes around having all sorts of fun.

Now I'm beginning to wonder if it's the food at all. Can a large dewlap signify other health problems?

Help!! Please! Really anxious! :cry: :shock:

I don't have any advice about him being overweight..

But I'm pretty sure kale really shouldn't be fed everyday:) Also, carrot is normally advised to be a treat, not an everyday thing:)

Carrot is very sugary. :) I would cut that out. Also kale is high in calcium. You might be better aiming for more variety in the veg you give.

It may be an idea to go to the vets for a checkup if you're worried. Mischa has a small dewlap. He did used to be a bit overweight but it was more where the skin stretched when he had bad head tilt.

First I would cut out the carrot and the carroty treat, carrot = very high in sugar. I would also switch over from kale to something like spring greens or herbs, just check that the SG's don't make him gassy. Kale is high in calcium I believe, please correct me if I'm wrong :)

By a tiny amount of SS - how much exactly do you mean?

I'm not sure about dewlaps signifing other problems :? But good luck with him :D

Thank you :wave:

I give so little carrot but could easily cut it out if that's the root of the problem.

As for the kale, I began giving it a s substitute to greens, cabbage etc. as these only gave them dodgy tums and runny bums. But again, if it's bad it'll have to go.

Not sure I will give in its place, however... What do you give yours daily?

How much exercise does he get?

Louie used to have carrotty biscuits and started getting a bit porky. I cut these out completely together with pellets. He now has hay and herbs and is very streamline again :D

Someone asked how mant pellets...just off to weigh...

...20g, morning and night, and that's for the two buns to share.

How does that sound?

Someone asked how mant pellets...just off to weigh...

...20g, morning and night, and that's for the two buns to share.

How does that sound?

I have no idea what mine have in weight but Pea and Pod are big bunnies at just over 3kg each and they get no more than 6 SS pellets each per day. The rest of their food is hay and veggies. They only get carrots (about an inch of carrot) twice a week. They're lazy girlies and put on weight easily! My bunny vet said that hay is surprisingly calorific, despite the fact that they MUST have it to keep their teeth and guts in good order.

Couple of questions.

What hay do you feed? Is it meadow hay, timothy hay, oat hay alfalfa hay?
How old were they when they had the reaction to the cabbage?

I personally find mine get on best with herbs and foraged weeds :thumb:

Thank you :wave:

I give so little carrot but could easily cut it out if that's the root of the problem.

As for the kale, I began giving it a s substitute to greens, cabbage etc. as these only gave them dodgy tums and runny bums. But again, if it's bad it'll have to go.

Not sure I will give in its place, however... What do you give yours daily?

Mine get spring greens and herbs, but this summer I am hoping to get them onto a natural diet. If greens give them problems try herbs - I've npt heard of a lot of buns aving problems with them

What kind of exercise do they get apart from free range time - like is their accomadation like?

20g is not a lot of pellets I don't think, but you could cut it down even more, even if its just for you bunny with weight problems :)

Back