• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Difficult Adolescent Bun?

kstevens7

Young Bun
Roger is being such a pain! I love the little guy to bits but I was just wondering if his behaviour is going to improve any. I've never had a rabbit from as young as I had him (I've always got them older) so I'm not sure how their behaviour changes from this time.

He's extremely destructive. This I don't really mind, because I can bunny-proof to the greatest extent possible. He's gone through a fair portion of carpet and wallpaper though.

I seem to annoy him? Whilst he definitely isn't afraid of me and approaches me, flops in my presence, etc, he just does not seem to want anything to do with me unless I have food. Whenever I try to touch him he hops away unless he is eating or lying down when occasionally he will even grind his teeth in pleasure. I don't understand. He actively pushes my hand away with his teeth. He is a very active little bunny - can't stay still for long.

He was neutered about three weeks ago and is about 3 and 3/4 months old. He is bonded to my older doe, Riley, who on the whole loves attention and is around 10 months.

Will he get any friendlier/enjoy the attention or is he always going to be like this? I'm thinking it might be his age.

Thank you!

I would give it another 2-3 weeks to be sure the hormones are down and then you'll be looking more at 'normal' personality.

It sounds like he's very active and likes to be busy which accounts for the destruction and the too busy for cuddles right now attitude. You might find that training would help keep his brain active and help you form a closer bond. Something like agility, recall or clicker training to do things like spin/jump on command.

I find Scamp will enjoys alternating playing chase with flopping over for nose rubs. You have to wear him out before he'll stay still enough to stroke :lol:

They do calm down a little bit as they turn in to adults but not all the way.

That does help, thank you very much for your reply.

I've just been a bit worried - I'm not desperate for a lap rabbit or anything like that but I would like to feel as if he actually liked me. :oops: It really does seem as if he is simply too busy to hang around for cuddles and nose rubs. It'll just take a little time and for the world to stop being so interesting!

Admittedly it hasn't been long since his neuter, and I havent noticed it really changing my in his behaviour so I'll keep an eye out for any changes.

I started some clicker training with my older bun, Riley, and had some success, so maybe i'll give it a try with Roger too. Although I have to add that he doesn't go quite as crazy for treats as his other half, so it might be a little more difficult.

Thanks again for the help! It is much appreciated. :)

No problem :) You might find working with Riley where he can see will actually help too. I had a bun once and the only time she'd want any human attention was when the other bun wanted nose rubs, then she'd squeeze her nose in too so she didn't get left out. Was completely unbothered any other time :lol: Sometimes doing something interesting whilst totally ignoring your rabbit is when they pay most attention.

Back