• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you think buns remember each other?

Candiflare

Mama Doe
Ralph used to be bonded with Ruby, but now both are separated bonded into their own groups of 4 and 2 respectively.

The other day they caught a glimpse of each other while Ralph was in the garden and I had Ruby in the dining room while I was giving Billy his medicine.

Silly question but...

Do you think they remember each other from sight? As in "oh yeah that's who I used to be bonded with..."

I'm sure they must do. I know they were only apart a few days but when mine were reunited last week they were apparently so excited and pleased to see each other. I don't know if they recognise more by scent or appearance but they are supposed to have good memories so I don't see why they would forget somebun.

That is a really interesting question and could explain why I couldn't bond two sisters back together. I guess they just remembered how wretched their life was together before I rescued and spayed them:?

Did Ralph and Ruby fall out? Or just get on better with another bun?

i'm positive that esme remembers not liking eric at all. they saw each other in the garden briefly last summer (they were separated but the sheet i had pinned to the run panels had blown down) and as eric happily ventured towards her, she lunged and boxed straight away:(

reinforced my having to keep them single for their own good theory. wretched as that makes me feel, an angry esme and an injured eric is not something i wish them to face again - nor me!

Yeah, I think so.

I split my Dominic from his group of girlies when he developed head tilt and needed intensive care indoors. When he started to recover, I used to put him back out with them for some exercise, and they didn't mind him being in their territory...wheras I'm pretty sure they would have attacked a 'stranger'. This was after about 2 months apart, so their memories must be pretty good

Interesting. Do you think bunnies remember us if we go away for a holiday ?

I think so....I went away for 2 weeks and came home and the buns ran about in circles..Im sure they do! And the recognise our voices too...:D

Also I went travelling for 2 years and my parrot remembered me straight away after all that time..she made "our" sounds and sat with me straight away...she usually bit most people...animals have amazing memories...just like people do...:)

It's so weird to imagine it. That they are not at all in control - when they are split from their bonded partner - of seeing them again.

It's like black beauty and ginger *sob*

Ruby and Ralph had an okay bond - they lived together for over a year, but not as good as the bonds they have now :)

According to the RSPCA something i read- they say no.

I take ava to the vets one day- then i bring her back to her girls the following day- she goes back fine, so have other animals. If they have been together for 2 or more years then yes, newly bonded may have problems.

In my experience yes. When I got Charlie, I got Dolly shortly after. They were half brother and sister from two separate litters. The person hadn't intended for the mom to have two sets of babies. (she had one set in one ovary and the other in the other ovary)

They seemed as if they'd never been apart.

I also think rabbits can tell who they're related to by smell.

Back