• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is tap water really safe for buns?

paulinejoe

Mama Doe
I'm still trying to get to the bottom of what caused Joes stasis last week and one prime candidate (apart from that wind/rain storm we had) is the Asda bagged prewashed greens.

I understand they are washed in a chlorine type stuff, and it just got me thinking, that as our tap water is chlorinated, is that really ideal for buns? Or is it safer to give them bottled?

My two have the same water we do, from bottles.

If you dont think the water is safe for drinking, then dont give it to your buns.

Thats my thought anyway.

I'm still trying to get to the bottom of what caused Joes stasis last week and one prime candidate (apart from that wind/rain storm we had) is the Asda bagged prewashed greens.

I understand they are washed in a chlorine type stuff, and it just got me thinking, that as our tap water is chlorinated, is that really ideal for buns? Or is it safer to give them bottled?

I have had no problems with my water, BUT, there have been a few threads about bagged, prewashed greens from several stores because many people have had problems. There was more mentioned than just Chlorine though, I think, in those threads.

I have had no problems with my water, BUT, there have been a few threads about bagged, prewashed greens from several stores because many people have had problems. There was more mentioned than just Chlorine though, I think, in those threads.
Ah right, i couldn't remember all the details and i never seem to find what i'm looking for using the search on here :oops: i just remembered some people having bother with the prewashed stuff,tbh Joejoes nearly 2 1/2 and has always had tap water but there are a lot of chemicals in it and just thought if his tum has become sensitive to something i'm going to try and make his diet as pure as possible.

@Graham - Good point. is there a particular brand of bottled water you give them? some are quite high in salt i think?

Ah right, i couldn't remember all the details and i never seem to find what i'm looking for using the search on here :oops: i just remembered some people having bother with the prewashed stuff,tbh Joejoes nearly 2 1/2 and has always had tap water but there are a lot of chemicals in it and just thought if his tum has become sensitive to something i'm going to try and make his diet as pure as possible.

@Graham - Good point. is there a particular brand of bottled water you give them? some are quite high in salt i think?

They have the 13p a bottle stuff from Asda :) Same as i do. :wave:

I don't think I'd be concerned about the safety of tap water, but I guess it's possible that the chemicals it contains may affect the taste, and hence reduce the inclination of the rabbit to drink the water...this in turn could lead to stasis type symptoms.

^^ this:)

i don't give the prewashed at all - if i did, i would rewash it. however, eric won't eat any veg from 2 of the major supermarkets - i guess it tastes funny to him:roll:

^^ this:)

i don't give the prewashed at all - if i did, i would rewash it. however, eric won't eat any veg from 2 of the major supermarkets - i guess it tastes funny to him:roll:

Yes - i was all veggies whether pre-washed or not too. :)

I have heard of smaller animals dying from tap water that's had accidentally too much chemicals put in but how true that is I don't know. I've never had any problems with it myself but I might start buying the cheapy Asda bottle water. Does anyone else get the feeling it's just tap water in a bottle though :lol:

i used to bring tap water from brum to scotland when we visited because i was of the understanding different water from different areas can upset tums, but i would assume that the gut would get used to water eventually so wouldnt cause problems after the first few days of adjustment.

my pair just like me love the tap water here in scotland yummmmm the stuff in brum was minging, but here theres something that isnt added and it tastes just like bottled water :love:

Why don't people drink tap water - because they think it's unsafe or because of the taste? I used to drink bottled water but haven't done so for several years. I have a water softener which supplies all the taps and appliances but also have a separate one in the kitchen which is fed straight from the mains. I don't like drinking really cold water, so always warm it a bit first (and warm the buns' water too.:oops:). If I buy any pre-packed veg I always wash it again before feeding to the rabbits, but don't bother for myself!)

Why don't people drink tap water - because they think it's unsafe or because of the taste? I used to drink bottled water but haven't done so for several years. I have a water softener which supplies all the taps and appliances but also have a separate one in the kitchen which is fed straight from the mains. I don't like drinking really cold water, so always warm it a bit first (and warm the buns' water too.:oops:). If I buy any pre-packed veg I always wash it again before feeding to the rabbits, but don't bother for myself!)

Cos of the taste. I have tap water in squash but plain water I prefer bottled.

If it's just chlorine you're worried about, you can get it out by boiling the water then leaving it to cool. That won't remove chloramines or heavy metals though.

There have also been concerns about bottled water due to the potential for contamination from the plastic bottles ;)

Back