• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Closed

whitehood

Warren Veteran
I have two rabbits Lucky - who is very friendly and Jack - a nervous bunny ..
I'm trying to bond them after listening to advice.
They're both males and have been neutered for about 7 months.
They have fought before.
I need step by step instructions on how to bond two neutered males who have fought before.
Thanks,
:wave:

Last edited:
I think you need to follow the advice you have been given several times before and ask a rescue to bond them for you

I think you need to follow the advice you have been given several times before and ask a rescue to bond them for you

I also agree.

There is no step by step because whilst there are basic 'rules' each bond can vary and so its important to know when to adjust things and change things, or not change things, etc.

I did ask a rescue and they declined because they had too much bonding to do with their own rabbits and didn't have the time to bond mines because the situation with my rabbits is more trickier and complicated.

1. Put them both together in a carrier. If you have a car, take them for a car ride. If not, put them on top of your washing machine
  2. Put them together in a small neutral space - the smaller the better. (This should be prepared before going for the car ride). To neutralise an area if a bun has been in it, use a vinegar/water spray to get rid of territorial smells
  3. You need to stay with them for 48 hours. Set up a bed beside your bonding pen if you have to :). There is no set formula here, every bond is different.
  4. Nipping, chasing, fur pulling are fine as long as you don't allow them to escalate. Only separate in the event of a fight, you may need gardening gloves and a broom handle for this as they will not be able to tell it is your hand and bite you!
  5. I normally add a litter tray after 24 hours and don't introduce bowls etc until they are properly bonded as food can cause squabbling. It's normally a good idea to feed them their veg, pellets etc before starting the bonding, and give them a massive pile of hay, don't give any pellets or veg until they stop fighting
  6. Hopefully by the end of the 48 hours you should have seen some grooming, snuggling etc. If they are still not grooming or snuggling and keep showing dominant behaviour such as humping leave them together a bit longer
  7. When they start grooming/snuggling, extend their space very slowly. This is perhaps the most important bit - you can undo all your hard work if you do it too fast. Make sure any space is neutral, and spend the next week or two slowly extending them and spraying anything with vinegar that one bun may have touched when he was single.

I also agree.

There is no step by step because whilst there are basic 'rules' each bond can vary and so its important to know when to adjust things and change things, or not change things, etc.

I agree with this, but I've given some steps for you to follow if you are going to bond them yourself :wave:

Having just had to take one of my buns to the vet because of the terrible injuries inflicted by her partner I'd agree with the suggestion to get a rescue to bond them or even put the idea of trying to bond them to rest. Please don't rush into trying to bond them yourself as you don't want them to get hurt.

It's hard to understand how much damage they can inflict on each other until you see it with your own eyes:(

please do NOT put two rabbits, especially those that have fought before, together in a carrier..they can still fight and you will not be able to split them easily..you could end up with terrible injuries both to the rabbits and to yourself trying to split them
Also putting them on top of a washing machine..I take it this is so the vibrations/noise will scare them and make them keep still..is cruel ..so please don't do this either

Ask another rescue..there are loads about!

please do NOT put two rabbits, especially those that have fought before, together in a carrier..they can still fight and you will not be able to split them easily..you could end up with terrible injuries both to the rabbits and to yourself trying to split them
Also putting them on top of a washing machine..I take it this is so the vibrations/noise will scare them and make them keep still..is cruel ..so please don't do this either

sorry Jill :oops: that's just advice I've been given and that worked for me

I was just trying to give the OP some advice as she said she'd exhausted the rescue route :wave:

I don't profess to be an expert, but this sounds horrendous to me.

sorry Jill :oops: that's just advice I've been given and that worked for me

I was just trying to give the OP some advice as she said she'd exhausted the rescue route :wave:

Nicola..it's ok wasn't meant to get at you..just point out that not all advice is good advice
Putting them in a car is ok as they will have to get used to that for vets trips...also if a bun is not fighting but not making any moves towards bonding..as in together but ignoring each other, not grooming etc. then to put them in a carrier and walk round with them a bit can help
But buns that have a history of fighting need to be somewhere you can split them quickly and easily..
I really think the OP needs a rescue or experienced bonder to help her

Im a him >,<
But yea i need a rescue to help me bond and the ones i have contacted in my area can't help me :(

I did ask a rescue and they declined because they had too much bonding to do with their own rabbits and didn't have the time to bond mines because the situation with my rabbits is more trickier and complicated.

Have you asked any Rescues from here? Actually, think I asked you this on another of your threads so you may have already replied.

I dont know any rescues from here >?
Even if I do i need them here .. I live in west london ?
Do you know any rescues in West London ?

I agree with everyone, because they have met and had a fight before it could be a tough bond process.

You will need someone with more experience and know what to look for if somebun gets stressed or when a fight is about to break out.

Have you tried ALL the rescues you could possibly travel to for help?
You might have to travel abit further than your area, but atleast they can be bonded.

Im not an expert but the two buns need to be bonded in an area they havent been before, you will need 48 hours to watch them, that means through the night too! So set yourself up a sleeping area near them. Theres going to be chasing and nipping, but as soon as it looks or turns into a fight you need to seperate them and if the chasing, nipping or humping gets too much for a bun you need to stop the other bun, but try not to seperate them. Your buns will need to be in the small space for atleast a week, until you feel comfortable increasing their space SLOWLY.

You can bond them in a dog crate and have a pen to attach to it to increase their space gradually as the bond goes on.

If and when you start the bonding please start a thread and keep us updated so we can help and give you advice while they are bonding.

Im sure someone more experience will be able to help and give you advice too soon. :wave:

I dont mind wtaching them over for 2 days even at night but as soon as i put them in that neuetral area they will smell each other and begin fighting less than 7 minutes ? ! Loll eveyrones talking about 48 hours

I dont mind wtaching them over for 2 days even at night but as soon as i put them in that neuetral area they will smell each other and begin fighting less than 7 minutes ? ! Loll eveyrones talking about 48 hours

Thats why an experienced bonder should be involved. They will know how to read signs and possibly stop the fight ever occuring before the actual even occurs.

Why do i feel like you're not going to listen to anyone, no matter waht we say? :roll:

I am ? :p LOL
Im going to start Friday when its half term for me .. Then i have the week off devoted to my rabbits :D
In the box room - in a pen
Put them there one by one and then assess :D

Back