• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Under weight bun?

allie1904

Mama Doe
One of my boys seems a it small..I sometimes wonder whether he was younger than snoopy and they just gave us as a guesstimation..

Here he is..Does he look healthy or a bit scrawny? He loves his grub, brocolli is his fave..

(Excuse the nibbles on the sofa, we wuz snuggling :))

photo_1_10.jpg

photo_41.jpg

According to what we were told he should be 7 months, he still looks like a bub though.

This is him with my other boy..

photo_20_1.jpg

xxx

everybun has a different ideal weight, please don't go on 'what he looks like' or 'what he feels like' in comparison to another bun.

E.g, i have two buns of the same breed, one is perfectly healthy, one is actually quite poorly, one weighs 2.3Kg's (roughly) the other weighs 1.57Kg's.

If you are concerned that the bunny may be underweight/unwell, please go and see a vet, preferably a rabbit savvy one.

Yeah they have both been weighed twice, once with the first lot of vaccs and then with the neutering.. OH took them the first time though and he can't remember what she said. The second time she just said they were 'healthy'.
:?

His back does feel bony but I was comparing with snoopy because I wasn't sure if this was normal for bunnies or not. Sorry.

How do I know where my nearest 'rabbit savvy' vet is?

xx

His back does feel bony but I was comparing with snoopy because I wasn't sure if this was normal for bunnies or not. Sorry.

How do I know where my nearest 'rabbit savvy' vet is?

xx

Post a thread in 'Rabbit Chat'

Ask for a 'Rabbit Savvy Vet in <Insert your area here>' :)

We have never been told a breed, they are just 'mixed' :roll:

Would be great if someone could shed some light on what their ancestors could have been?

They are approx. 7 months.

Sorry for all the questions..:oops:

We have never been told a breed, they are just 'mixed' :roll:

Would be great if someone could shed some light on what their ancestors could have been?

They are approx. 7 months.

Sorry for all the questions..:oops:

I'd say it sounds 'about right'. But thats just me personally, as i say, so many buns have so many different variables involved.

If you aren't overly concerned, perhaps ask the vet upon your next visit :)

I agree with Gray that the weight can be irrelevant. My two dwarf lops are totally different weight by miles but both are healthy, one is just smaller than the other.

It is normal to feel the spine and ribs to some degree but they should not be too pronounced. If you are unsure the easiest thing would be to ask your vet.

I have heard that you should be able to feel the ribs and spine but not see them through the fur and that the ribs would feel like a pack of pens. I think it's a good idea though to see a rabbit savvy vet and get an idea of where your rabbit is and maybe ask what they would feel would be an ideal weight and weigh them yourself at home.

For instance, I know that Mini and Mischa's ideal weight is about 1.8/1.9kg, Nutmeg is more 1.3/1.4 and Smudge 1.9/2kg. So if I am concerned I can weigh them and go from this. My vet also weighs them every time they have vaccinations/check ups.

Back