• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Driving myself crazy have to stop

Mrs Ord

Mama Doe
I really am going mad. I'm constantly and I honestly mean constantly trying to think of new ways to make my bunny housing better. I know it sounds stupid but i'm verging on obsessed with this.

Currently Lilly and Carlisle are in a (leaking :censored:) 10x10 shed. They have really easy access to the grass from there as well.

Jasper and Dexter have a two tier hutch with attached 7x4 run and the option of easy access to the grass and an additional 7x4 worth of it at that. Trouble with this is its really ugly and a complete eyesore :roll: Also the mesh of the attached run is chicken wire and I'm wary of it all the time to the point of loosing sleep.

All grass play has to be supervised this means Lilly and Carlisle only access outside when I can suppervise so I always feel bad about that even though they have a lot of indoor space.

In the next few weeks the shed is getting a new roof :D Its my birthday present from OH (I told you I am soo obsessed! :oops:) I would love my bunnies to all live together in there hence my recent thread about scary bonding http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=270026 (which I would still love more advice on please)

However if this didn't work out i'd like to split the shed in half for both pairs. Would that be enough space for them? Also Outside space would then become tricky. One side there is an attached greenshouse which we have a taker for and would leave me with a perfect base of 6x4 with a drain :lol: so easily cleaned. Trouble with that side is there is no way of alowing grass access without picking up my bunnies which obviouly they hate.

The other side is the nightmare. I would have to level out the ground as its all broken paving slabs, some concerete and also some dirt with stones in its a complete mess. Also the door is on that side so would need access through the run or the run set back past the door where the ground is even harder to level off and i'd have to cut a hole in the shed for access which I wouldn't have a clue how to do :evil: Grass access would be pretty easy from this side. Aviary pannels would probably be the way forward therefore it wouldn't matter if the door was covered by the run but i'm worried how imposing they would look in our already built up garden we have an additional shed for normal garden storage too. The panels seem to be really expensive once delivery is on top and I don't trust the quality.

What a mess any ideas on either of my threads please? I've been worrying about this ever since I ended up with four buns instead of two. I'm constantly on ebay, classifieds etc... looking for the perfect solution and its over a year now and I still havent found it. I need to stop all this for my own sanity :lol:

Just read your other thread: Harvey and Zero had several fights before I successfully bonded them into a group. I've bonded two groups and never had a broken bond.

I once tried to bond Castiel to Lucy and Zero but as soon as I saw it wasn't going to work I took him out and Lucy and Zero stayed bonded. I think if you separate as soon as you know it isn't going to work you should be ok - but I might have just been lucky.

I also think group bonding with two volatile rabbits/two rabbits who have had a fight is much easier than just trying to bond those two as a pair. Again just going off my own experience though.

I am always trying to improve space for my lot too :oops:. As soon as they've been anywhere for a little while it always seems too small :oops: my 5 have the run of the massive dining room and of the living room when we're in and I still think they haven't got enough space. And I'm plotting for a new chinchilla cage and a guinea pig extension.

Everything would be so much easier if I could get them all together. I think big groups of bunnies are in a more natural environment and therefore happier? The shed renovation would then only need the new roof and the inside boarded and linoed. The greenhouse plot could be permanant outdoor space and the lawn in from for grass binkies when I suppervise. I'm going to get the boys booked in and speyed then try to bond. Will you deffinately help me Nicola? Please. I'll have to clean the whole kitchen and do it in there as I think it could take a few days and the bathroom wouldn't be suitable for that. I think I'll do a car ride beforehand as well. How on earth can I do that with four though? I only have two carriers :?

I totally agree that groups are more natural. Of course I'll help you :wave: just let me know when everything's ready.

With the car ride I'd put the two boys together in one carrier and the two girls together in another.

Maybe if I put them in then come and pick you up from yours. Then it would be quite a long ride but not too long. What sort of size bonding space do you think I should be going for to start off with? I have the metal panels so can start small and increase space from there.

Just thought as well did you put then two that were bonded together in the carriers or the two that wern't?

Maybe if I put them in then come and pick you up from yours. Then it would be quite a long ride but not too long. What sort of size bonding space do you think I should be going for to start off with? I have the metal panels so can start small and increase space from there.

good plan :thumb: I started both groups in a 3ft x 1ft triangle-shaped pen I made out of odd run bits. It worked fine for the 5, then I extended after 24 hours, but with the lops being bigger they seemed to get a bit distressed and I couldn't tell if they were fighting or just getting in each other's way, so I extended it out to 3x3ft. Then I extended again after 48 hours.

Maybe do the car ride when you get here then you can help separate if they kick off in the boxes :oops: I'm such a softy

Maybe do the car ride when you get here then you can help separate if they kick off in the boxes :oops: I'm such a softy

yeah I'm not sure how safe it is driving with bonding bunnies in the back unsupervised, that's a good point :lol:

How long after the boys are done before bonding?

well I waited 6 weeks before trying with Harvey and Zero for hormones to die down etc because they were very hormonal

but Eddie had only been done about 3 weeks I think, he's so laid back I wasn't really worried :)

Back