• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How would you take it if somebody accused you...

Zara

Mama Doe
of cruelty to your rabbits just because they live inside? :? I've been holding my tongue and not reacting in anger because said-accuser knows nothing of rabbits, and I know my rabbits are happier then ever inside and the garden we have is unsafe anyway. Trying to explain logically why I'm not cruel to my animals doesn't help, shall I carry on ignoring the comments from said-accuser?

Tell them to google "houserabbits" and they'll soon realise it's more common than they think! Mind you if it someone just intent on being mean or trying to wind you up then the best thing is to not react at all and change the subject when they mention it ;)

I have indoor and outdoor buns and there's pros and cons to both. I wouldn't take it personally, the person obviously doesn't know much about rabbits.

I've been called cruel for neutering my animals :roll:

Simply say they are safe from fox attacks or foxes giving them a heart attack. They live in warmth and luxury. They like sleeping on my bed (which they probably don't, they dont have to know that), and never want to live outside again.:wave:

If they arent just being mean, invite them over.

When I first got my bunny, my housemate said it was unnatural and cruel to keep a rabbit inside. He wasnt being horrible, just genuinely concerned and thought I shouldnt get the rabbit. But since seeing how happy Barney is, he doesnt say anything anymore :) he even said he thought he would be unhappy in a hutch because he is used to so much room.

Tell them to wind their neck in and concentrate on their own life. Tell them that if you wanted their opinion you'd ask for it, but as their pea brain can't comprehend I simple concept like a house rabbit then they'd be the last person you'd take advice from. Failing that i'd swear at them vulgarly and if they still carry on slap them lol. Sorry that's just me, life is too short to be smothered by morons :)

Ignore them. I've seen posts where people have said really weird reasons why rabbits shouldn't be inside. (Dust?!) But for me it works and is best for my rabbits.

Maybe say all the reasons for not putting them outside: foxes, cats, robbers, bad weather, more space inside for them, able to be around them more often.

Ignore them. I've seen posts where people have said really weird reasons why rabbits shouldn't be inside. (Dust?!) But for me it works and is best for my rabbits.

Maybe say all the reasons for not putting them outside: foxes, cats, robbers, bad weather, more space inside for them, able to be around them more often.

:thumb:

I have been called cruel by my Mother in laws new husband, he said it was a danger to mine and their health :evil:

he said it was disgusting keeping outside animals indoors

When I took Lola to the vets once in a cab the taxi driver asked if she was a cat and i replied no shes a rabbit and lives indoors, - Oh how i wished id never said that, for the rest of the journey he was telling me how cruel it was of me to keep a rabbit indoors and that they should be in fields blah blah blah. When I said it was no different to having a cat or dog he laughed at me as if i was a fool. I couldnt wait to get out the cab and if it wasnt raining I would have told him to stop and id walk. Needless to say I will NEVER use that taxi firm again:)

he said it was disgusting keeping outside animals indoors

When I took Lola to the vets once in a cab the taxi driver asked if she was a cat and i replied no shes a rabbit and lives indoors, - Oh how i wished id never said that, for the rest of the journey he was telling me how cruel it was of me to keep a rabbit indoors and that they should be in fields blah blah blah. When I said it was no different to having a cat or dog he laughed at me as if i was a fool. I couldnt wait to get out the cab and if it wasnt raining I would have told him to stop and id walk. Needless to say I will NEVER use that taxi firm again:)

I had a very smilar problem with a taxu driver who was moaning that I had an animal in his cab in the first place :roll:

And the journey was much to short for him to be bothered with :roll:

He also kept saying I bet she would taste good with carrots and oinions

Don't cats and dogs have more catchable illnesses cos they eat meat? I'm sure I heard that.

Yep you are right! It was this guy that got my dad all worried as we are trying for our own baby!

He said that they carry disease :roll: Idiot knows nothing

Housebunnies on average get more space, less exposure to extremes of temperature and more human interaction. I would guess that if you surveyed housebunnies owners and outdoors bunnies owners, that most indoor bunnies were well kept, whereas I seem to see outdoors bunnies living poorer quality of life. I suppose if you're willing to give up your house for a small bunny shaped dog you're more likely to have commitment to your bunny than someone that bought it on a whim and left it in a 3ft hutch with minimal contact and exercise. My parents would never allow Buzzby to be an indoor bun and tbh he is destructive. I have to settle with him being outside with as much spoiling as possible. My piggles are inside because I thought that it would mean they had more contact than outside (wheras buzzby makes himself the centre of attention, my piggles would have just hid in a hut). Ive had people say that its unfair on them (people always dropping greens off for them because theyre just inside the front door, even the postman says hello) but I know its the best place for them.

Back