• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

my poor snowball :'( advice needed, please

xx-snowball-xx

Wise Old Thumper
part of his ear got bitten off :'(
im so bloody stupid :mad:

went and got a drink and on the way back i must have left the door ajar.
i was sorting pellets into a storage container and i didn't see jayjay walk in until he was near the pen.

then snowball came running over and making noises, then jay was making noises.
then there was growling and snowball ran away from the side of the pen and i grabbed jay and was checking him over as i put him in the hallway and he was fine.
and i came back to find a drop of blood on snowballs back.
couldn't see where it came from then noticed a chunk of his ear is missing :'(

i rang the emergency vets and they said there is nothing they can do about his ear, just stop the bleeding.
i asked if i should bring him in just in case and he said no :s
i said well aren't you going to advise me about shock. he said excuse me. i said bunnys go into shock very easily.
he didn't know what he was on about :(

he said not to take him.
should i go anyway? the bleeding has stopped now.
should i go to the out of hours, or wait til the morning?

Sorry can't offer any advice, but really hope someone on here can tho im sure they will help!

really hope snowball is okay!!!

IMG_3091.jpg

IMG_3090.jpg

IMG_3089.jpg

IMG_3088.jpg

When that happened with a rabbit I had for bonding we went to the emergency vets, but the vet just cleaned the wound. I gave the rabbit some pain relief and a snugglesafe overnight and kept giving food and treats to ensure she was still eating. She was fine :) Just enjoying special fuss and attention. She was inside though.

Sorry can't offer any advice, but really hope someone on here can tho im sure they will help!

really hope snowball is okay!!!

thank you :)

he seems fine in his self.
he is a little eager to be off my bed (usually he would sit quietly)

i let him jump off to see what he'd do, he ran to the door and was sniffing, so think he is trying to smell jay perhaps?

but other than that, he is fine.
gave him chocolate buttons to get the pictures and he ate them quite happily. have put him in the pen for 5 minutes. am clearing some space in my bedroom and moving the pen in here so i can keep an eye on him all night.

don't know what to do :(

Do you have any metacam that maybe a vet could advise on you using over the phone?

This is one of the most frequent injuries in rabbits in my experience when there is a possibility of two mtg accidentally and skirmishing - Unless a lot of the ear has gone tbh they do seem to pretty much ignore it - though I would always give painkiller.

Personally Id clean the area with cooled boiled water with a pinch of salt in it on a cotton pad or something soft. Id then keep a close eye on him over night to check hes eating and drinking etc and get him to a vet tommorrow for a cgeck over :wave:
Whats JayJay btw? Another bunster?
Loads of healing vibes for Snowball xxx

jayjay is the foster rabbit i am looking after.

my problem is, the guy i spoke to clearly didn't know what he was talking about. i don't want to drag him all the way there and stress him more if the vets aren't going to do anything. he said he wouldn't do anything about it, there is nothing to do for an ear except stop the bleeding :S

sky, if the vet would only clean it, do you think there is any point in me going? it's miles away (currently ringing friends etc as we speak trying to sort a lift out if we do need to go)
would he be ok to wait until the morning to have a check up at the vet?
im moving him into my room for fuss and snuggles to make sure he is ok

sorry, just seen all of the replies.
no, i don't have any metacam.

he seems absolutely fine in himself, just runnig around eating etc. have just seen him take a drink.

i am going to ring the emergency vet again and ask if they will give him pain relief and if they will, i will carry on ringing people and find someone to take us through

have spoken to the emergency vet for nun house vets (nigel) twice.
both times he has told me not to bring snowball in because there was nothing he could do about an ear. second time i rang, i asked about pain relief and he again said that there was no need to bring him in.

also spoke to the emergency vet for the willows vets for a second opinion (don't know who i spoke to, can't remember her name)
she told me i didn't need to bring him in either. she said that i should keep him warm and in a dark place, keep an eye on him until the morning, then take him in the to be checked tomorrow

going to follow their advice and wait until the morning for him to be seen, as he seems to be fine in himself and acting 100% just like snowball

have spoken to the emergency vet for nun house vets (nigel) twice.
both times he has told me not to bring snowball in because there was nothing he could do about an ear. second time i rang, i asked about pain relief and he again said that there was no need to bring him in.

also spoke to the emergency vet for the willows vets for a second opinion (don't know who i spoke to, can't remember her name)
she told me i didn't need to bring him in either. she said that i should keep him warm and in a dark place, keep an eye on him until the morning, then take him in the to be checked tomorrow

going to follow their advice and wait until the morning for him to be seen, as he seems to be fine in himself and acting 100% just like snowball

yhh i would just clean the wound with salt water as advised in other posts, and wait untill morning :) x

Back