• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding questions what would happen ....

shadow05

Mama Doe
hi everyone :wave:

anyways will get on with my questions.

1. if i get a rabbit from a rescue and its same age as scooter and everything but i dont let him choose what will be the chances of them getting along.

2. how would i go around bonding them together? do i start of with separate cages for about a month and slowly introduce or do i just put them in together straight away.

3. which would be better for him to bond with or which would he most likely tolerate? a baby, same age as him or a bunny thats about 4 or onwards.

Plz answer me if u can and if u can think of anything that i should know about plz tell me so that i can remeber it when im doing my research.

I think it would be best if you take him with you to the rescue and let him choose his companion.
This way he will look forward to bonding with him/her properly afterwards.

1, its an unknown. someone with experience might have a higher chance of success than someone with less experience.

2, Have a read and a research on here and learn about it. I have an article on my website (link in my sig) about bonding and Janice and The Duchess on here also give excellent advice.

3, Ideally a spayed female, who has healed and recovered.

I do think its better to let him choose though, but you can narrow down his options for him.

I think it would be best if you take him with you to the rescue and let him choose his companion.
This way he will look forward to bonding with him/her properly afterwards.

yea but i was just thinking hes not been vaccinated. so i thought it would be quite bad of me to take him with me for the bonding. the rescue im going to i dont know if they even have a bonding service.

yea but i was just thinking hes not been vaccinated. so i thought it would be quite bad of me to take him with me for the bonding. the rescue im going to i dont know if they even have a bonding service.

I would suspect a rescue may be warey of rehoming a rabbit to a household with an unvaccinated rabbit (unless its not vaccinated for health reasons).

However, what you say about him is fair though, it would be risky taking him there, for him and for theirs too.

hi everyone :wave:

anyways will get on with my questions.

1. if i get a rabbit from a rescue and its same age as scooter and everything but i dont let him choose what will be the chances of them getting along.

2. how would i go around bonding them together? do i start of with separate cages for about a month and slowly introduce or do i just put them in together straight away.

3. which would be better for him to bond with or which would he most likely tolerate? a baby, same age as him or a bunny thats about 4 or onwards.

Plz answer me if u can and if u can think of anything that i should know about plz tell me so that i can remeber it when im doing my research.

The best thing to do would be to go to a rescue, tell them which bunny you'd like, and they will bond them for you. When you pick up the two buns you can make a donation that covers the bonding and the adoption fee for the new rescue rabbit.

The rescue will want to know whether you have a partner to bond the adopted bun with anyway, so even if you approached it in the 1st way where you adopted another bun and bonded them yourself, you would probably be better off having the rescue bond your rabbit with the new one anyway.

Having two rabbits of a similar age bonded together is best.

For us to be able to give the information you are requesting you need to give us much more information. You are not telling us whether your own rabbitis neutered and in good health, what sex are you looking for is this rabbit going to be neutered prior to obtaining it.

I will give you information to maximise a successful bonding.

1. if i get a rabbit from a rescue and its same age as scooter and everything but i dont let him choose what will be the chances of them getting along. If your rabbit is a neutered male get a neutered female, this bonding is usually more successful than other bondings. However saying that it all depends of the rabbits you choose. Like humans we get on with some people and not others.

2. how would i go around bonding them together? do i start of with separate cages for about a month and slowly introduce or do i just put them in together straight away. If a rescue will offer to bond your rabbits it is best that you allow them to do it, they usually will have far more experience than most rabbits owners particuarly if you only have bonded your own in the past. Bonding needs to be done in a totaly neutral place where either none of the rabbits have previously been or an area which has been neutralised. It is best to bond in one atttempt over a period where you have at least 72 hours free where you need to do nothing else. It is possibly that you may not get any sleep over this period of time. Slow bonding is more stressful for your buns (and yousefl) The space you bond in needs to be approximately 4 x 2 to allow yourself to be able to pull rabbits apart if they lock on or start serious chasing. Do not use your hands but use a broom unless you are happy having a rabbit hanging from your arms! Humping, minor chases and nipping should all be tolerated. The space should not be extended unless they have been settled without any incidents for at least 48 hours, then only expand into neutral territory. Space should only be expanded by a couple of square feet each 48 hours if they are settled and never move them into a non neutral area.

3. which would be better for him to bond with or which would he most likely tolerate? a baby, same age as him or a bunny thats about 4 or onwards. I would suggest a neutered female if yours is a neutered male. Age does not matter.

For us to be able to give the information you are requesting you need to give us much more information. You are not telling us whether your own rabbitis neutered and in good health, what sex are you looking for is this rabbit going to be neutered prior to obtaining it.

I will give you information to maximise a successful bonding.

1. if i get a rabbit from a rescue and its same age as scooter and everything but i dont let him choose what will be the chances of them getting along. If your rabbit is a neutered male get a neutered female, this bonding is usually more successful than other bondings. However saying that it all depends of the rabbits you choose. Like humans we get on with some people and not others.

2. how would i go around bonding them together? do i start of with separate cages for about a month and slowly introduce or do i just put them in together straight away. If a rescue will offer to bond your rabbits it is best that you allow them to do it, they usually will have far more experience than most rabbits owners particuarly if you only have bonded your own in the past. Bonding needs to be done in a totaly neutral place where either none of the rabbits have previously been or an area which has been neutralised. It is best to bond in one atttempt over a period where you have at least 72 hours free where you need to do nothing else. It is possibly that you may not get any sleep over this period of time. Slow bonding is more stressful for your buns (and yousefl) The space you bond in needs to be approximately 4 x 2 to allow yourself to be able to pull rabbits apart if they lock on or start serious chasing. Do not use your hands but use a broom unless you are happy having a rabbit hanging from your arms! Humping, minor chases and nipping should all be tolerated. The space should not be extended unless they have been settled without any incidents for at least 48 hours, then only expand into neutral territory. Space should only be expanded by a couple of square feet each 48 hours if they are settled and never move them into a non neutral area.

3. which would be better for him to bond with or which would he most likely tolerate? a baby, same age as him or a bunny thats about 4 or onwards. I would suggest a neutered female if yours is a neutered male. Age does not matter.

opps srry he is neautered and is a male lol and is healthy as a horse.

he was done on the 28th feb i know hes not ready yet but doesnt stop me from researching.

if there is anything else that u want to know plz ask i honestly dont mind.

opps srry he is neautered and is a male lol and is healthy as a horse.

he was done on the 28th feb i know hes not ready yet but doesnt stop me from researching.

if there is anything else that u want to know plz ask i honestly dont mind.

Are you saying he will be done on 28th February or he was done almost a years ago :?

If he was done almost a year ago he will be fine.

Back