• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

UGh Felt so Horrible - Rabbit Screaming

Lynn's Bunny

Mama Doe
This morning i let my bunnies out for a run in the backyard. I am thinking of trying to bond them and as I am nervous I put a harness and leash on one in case they fought so I could grab one faster. It sounds so stupid now. Anyways, they put their foreheads together and then just hopped around, not really paying much attention to each other. They normally are housed in my shed with a divider in the middle and often sit next to each other.

I was quite happy they didn't just start fighting and thought maybe they have a chance to bond. But then my neighbours cat jumped up on the fence and scared Jack. Jack hasn't lived here very long (since August) and was a totally indoor rabbit, so he is not familiar with cats or other animals. This frightened him and he started running. I dropped the leash but unfortuantely he thought the leash was chasing him.

It was horrible watching him run about full speed completely terrified. I had to grab the leash to stop him and he started screaming. I felt and feel terrible about this. I picked him up as fast as I could and held him tightly. He stopped screaming when I picked him up and went limp. Once he was calm again I put him back in his pen inside the shed. He is still frightened and being nervous.

It must have been so traumatizing for him. I will never put a leash and harness on him again. I'm also wondering if allowing him to run in the backyard is too scary for him with the neighbours cat around. :( Poor Jack.

I just had to vent as I feel so bad for him. And feel like such a stupid owner.

:oops:

This is probably isn't the question you want to hear right now but what does rabbit screaming sound like? All I can imagine is a man screaming.

You're not stupid you were just trying to cover all possibilities. You had no way to know he would think the lead was chasing him. So don't beat yourself up about it.

I think he might be a little more scared of the cat now but I still think you should let him out with supervision. Make sure he knows where to run and hide. It must have been a horrible experience for you but think on the positive side, your buns are a step closer to bonding. :)

I think we've all done things we regret later, it's quite a steep learning curve looking after any animal :)

Maybe you can get a fold up pen to put around your back door so he can go in/out as he want (obviously you'd need to supervise still). I find if you let a bun hop out on their own terms so the know how to get back to their place they are more confident.

You'll need to be very vigilant with a cat and not leave them alone even for a minute to answer the phone/pop to the loo.

Thanks all, can't help but feel bad for poor Jack. He's come a long way with developing his confidence living here. I really hope this isn't going to set him back.

Yes, I think I'll set up a pen by the door and then he can go in and out as he pleases.

That cat is such a pest. He is always coming out and starring at the bunnies. I'm not going to leave them alone for a moment. I dont trust him at all. I love cats but he is a really strange one. he is quite grumpy and one time tried to swat me in the face. Cats usually like me so I was really surprised.

I'm going to continue with the bonding. I just have to figure out how to do it. I don't want them having a big fight and I'm unable to separate them in the yard. I might have to try in the shed but am confused how to do so when they both live in there on opposite sides. Do I swap them back and forth on each side? So they get used to mixing their smells? Or would this upset them more? I won't do it today since Jack needs some quiet time.

Thanks! :)

You really want somewhere neutral you can leave them for 24-48 hrs. Do you have space inside? I sometimes use a kitchen/bathroom for bonding.

Back