• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just a few questions about snuffles...

Candiflare

Mama Doe
Billy is on baytril, 0.4 every 12 hours for his runny nose and sneezing. Jill Honeybunnys and Gray very kindly spoke to me about it on RU facebook earlier, but I just have a few more questions:

- To give him probiotics alongside his Baytril (and probably future anti-biotic treatment as the baytril doesn't seem to be working yet) do I have to get those from the vet or can I buy them online?

- Should I try to keep him the same temperature as much as possible? He is indoors but the days and nights here haven't helped, ranging from -2 to 11 in a matter of hours and the room isn't central heated.

- if the baytril is upsetting his tummy (which it seems to be) should I be giving him his food before or after his dose? Or does that not affect it?

Widget has been on 2 ml baytril once per day for nearly a week. I've been putting it on a few pellets and letting it soak in and then letting her eat it. But TBH it has done nothing to help from what I can see. But she hasn't had any problems with her tum.

Everyone has advised me to get a culture and sensitivity test done and I have finally managed to persuade my vets to do that once the ABX are out of Widget's system. We are going to get Sprocket tested as well as he is not well either. :(

I get probiotics from Vetuk online. I get the lactob stuff and my lot like the taste. It is the same as the vets have anyway.

I usually give medicines after eating to ensure they eat first if you know what I mean.

Unfortuately baytril didn't work for mine depocilin injections seemed to work better but you will know more when they get the swab results back which antibiotics to use.

Thanks Emma and KittyKat

I will get some probios online. It's so **** how baytril is expected not to work...

I have never had a bun with snuffles before so this is all very new to me... I seem to be more of a stasis bunny mummy :roll:

My vet didn't even bother with Baytril to begin with, just went straight with Penicillin (Streptinject?). Mischa did get some excess cecals on it so I gave him some Avipro (think that's the one, the powder) but it didn't help a great deal, think the glucose in it doesn't help. So I stopped. When he went onto Baytril it cleared up. I'd like to get some of the probiotic pellets, can't remember the name :roll: for in the future when Mini gets excess cecals at moult-time.

Thanks Emma and KittyKat

I will get some probios online. It's so **** how baytril is expected not to work...

I have never had a bun with snuffles before so this is all very new to me... I seem to be more of a stasis bunny mummy :roll:

It really does depend on the bacteria or infection as to what would work best to fight it. It does take a long course to get rid of though. Baytril is the only abx licenced for rabbits I believe. The others are not licenced. They usually run the course on a while after the sypmtons have gone. Hope he's better soon.

Oscar this morning got put on 1.2ml of Baytril twice a day this morning. Got a water soluble pro-biotic on order & the vet is researching into teramicein(?)

Weighed in at 6.4kg this morning as well. He was 5.6/5.7kg 4 weeks ago!

Im interested in the variation of doses of Baytril being given.

I took one of my buns to Medivet who recommended 0.6 ml of Baytril and now my own vet who has given 2.5 ml. When I was a Bristol, one of the vets there said that often vets do not give a large enough dose of Baytril to rabbits and they recommended Daisy to have 3 mls a day.

Does anyone know what the recommended dose of Baytril is per kilo? I know that it is given for different reasons, but there will be a recommended dose that they work out according to the rabbits weight.

We are having really good results with Baytril in Bluebell but we are nebulising it instead. He's having a much lower dose in the nebuliser than he was having orally yet it's been a lot more effective.

Pro-biotics you can by Pro Fibre Pellets or Bio lapis from vet uk.

Snuffles is pretty resistant to baytril now. Your vet really needs to try something stronger to get a good result penicillin or zithromax works well.

Back