• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Questions to ask the vet ?

CharlotteMc

Mama Doe
Some of you may know that I am planning to get me female bunny penny spayed :),I will be going to the vets next week for her myxxi and I want to ask the vets questions about her being spayed.
What questions should I ask ? :)

Well usually if they are going to spay, she will have to go for a check up before where they will check her health and weight etc so I don't really know what you could ask but maybe:

How much experience have you got with spaying rabbits?
What are your success rates?
:wave:

How many they lose under GA (and also in recovery) anymore than one or two is too many, and they should be able to explain and justify any losses.

Should you starve her before the operation (obviously, answer is no).

Also, their protocol, how it works at their surgery (i.e. will she come home that da, checked in that morning, etc).

Also, the most important, maybe, is will they send her home with pain relief for you to administer for a few days after. This is key- the injection they give will not be enough. She will need pain relief after and you should not accept anything other than 'yes, we send you home with pain relief'.

How many they lose under GA (and also in recovery) anymore than one or two is too many, and they should be able to explain and justify any losses.

Should you starve her before the operation (obviously, answer is no).

Also, their protocol, how it works at their surgery (i.e. will she come home that da, checked in that morning, etc).

Also, the most important, maybe, is will they send her home with pain relief for you to administer for a few days after. This is key- the injection they give will not be enough. She will need pain relief after and you should not accept anything other than 'yes, we send you home with pain relief'.

*h*t! I never got given pain relief for my girls, I feel awful now :cry:

If you think about a lady, having a hysterectomy, they would never expect a lady to have pain relief only on the day of the operation. Its saffe to assume they are, at the very least, uncomfortable, because of how invasive the operation is.

All you can do is to learn and if you get another bunny spayed, make sure you get pain relief for after.

Back