• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Breeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunni_xx

Mama Doe
I know someone, she's a breeder, BUT only breeds about once a year, does homechecks for them, and keeps EVERY SINGLE ONE of them in AT LEAST a 4 x 6 shed with attached run, feeds Bunny Basics T, veg, hay. Everything. She is a great breeder, only breeds rabbits once, and only leaves them together for under an hour. Do you still call this bad breeding? :wave:

Sounds very much on the more responsible end of the spectrum, for sure :)

I personally would just wonder why she wants to do that?

If she knows the genetic lines well and stuff then I'd say I'd much rather people like her breed rather than the people that do it for petshops and stuff.

I know someone, she's a breeder, BUT only breeds about once a year, does homechecks for them, and keeps EVERY SINGLE ONE of them in AT LEAST a 4 x 6 shed with attached run, feeds Bunny Basics T, veg, hay. Everything. She is a great breeder, only breeds rabbits once, and only leaves them together for under an hour. Do you still call this bad breeding? :wave:

Sorry but I think all breeding is selfish and never for the rabbits benefit, they will still be kept alone and not have a partner.

Her conditions do sound much better than most, but still, why breed?

i saw a breeders website just like this was rather impressed with her set up and how she bred she also kept her retired rabbits rather then rehome them like most other breeders do :) even though she had large runs attached to all her sheds there was pictures of the rabbits enjoying a good run around free range in the garden, the rabbits looked very happy :)

that was teh only breeder ive really been impressed with though lol

In the current climate there is no excuse for breeding no matter what conditions the rabbits are kept in.

Why breed or buy when Rabbits in Rescue Die..............

This ^^^

While there are 35000 rabbits in rescue and centres and fit to bursting with huge waiting lists, i think ANY rabbit breeding in this climate is irresponsible.

All v good points here. I hate seeing breeders with small hutches, but would you personally, if there was a bun you fell in love with, buy from her? Or would you still go to rescues?

I honestly think, I would probably get from her (Please don't blast me for this) because I KNOW she is responsible. :wave:

All v good points here. I hate seeing breeders with small hutches, but would you personally, if there was a bun you fell in love with, buy from her? Or would you still go to rescues?

I honestly think, I would probably get from her (Please don't blast me for this) because I KNOW she is responsible. :wave:

Personally, I only take special needs rabbits who need that one last chance and those are rarely found at a breeders, I come across far too many in rescues.

But, to buy from a breeder I would need to see their set up and talk to them and also meet their bunnies before making a choice, so wouldn't be able to say from just seeing a thread like this.

I can't imagine ever going to breeder again though, If I'm completely honest.

But she's not 'responsible' - there are rescues struggling with numbers. My first port of call would be a rescue.

There are worse breeders out there...

But i want to know why people breed? :?

I understand to keep bunnies and other pets in our lives... but there are so many that are needing homes already... why bring more into the world when we cant cope with the amount that already need homes from previous breeding.

We all know that without breeding we wouldnt have our babies now... So im not completely against it... But there are far too many in rescues around the country needing homes.

After everything I am going through with Bo, I am sure you all know exactly what starred out words I wish to say.

I'd always rescue, no exceptions!

She is not responsible as she is adding to the population of rabbits when there are so many unwanted in rescues :wave:

I dont think anyone has a right to blast you hun in the end of the day we all have different opinions and i dont see why anyone has a right to blast you for going to a breeder its your choice no one can tell you what you can or cant do. If anyone does blast you though please dont take it to heart.

I can honestly see this thread turning into another debate on breeding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back