• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fenugreek crunchies and teefs breaking

ive had to stop using bake type treat for my buns now, willow sticks are softer than some of theses treats :lol:

Poor wee Lily! I've noticed a new packet has biggerand slightly thicker crunchies - could a partiocularly tough crunchie have been the problem?

Has she some underlying condition? :? Am a bit worried now. :oops: How would you know if they'd broken a tooth?

She has malloclusion.....teefs burred every 4 or 5 weeks.
Also chronic snuffles and spinal probs but wouldnt say thats anything to do with teeth.
Its just funny now Im supplying more of these that her teeth have broke.
The other bunnies are fine......
Ian seems to think that its possible we are coming to the final stages in her dental problems, or its the crunchies!!!
Often look at her teeth to check for growth and thats when I notice a tooth is broken.

Ah I see. To be honest I don't check their teeth that often. Not Nutmeg anyway, I like my fingers :oops::lol:

So does Nutmeg but I'm not sure in the same way :lol::lol::lol:

Lils stands up in my hands, and is cross, so her teefs are like :D
I take a quick look and also watch her eat.If her teeth are long, she will put her head in the air...
I have her done regular though, so she doesnt get too far.
I have had a thought that her teeth are brittle and break easily due to the vibration of the burring tool?? I hint heavily to Ian about it being that, but he never says anything.
There are stages of dental disease, so he says.But have you ever bitten on a fenugreek crunchie???:oops:

Lils stands up in my hands, and is cross, so her teefs are like :D
I take a quick look and also watch her eat.If her teeth are long, she will put her head in the air...
I have her done regular though, so she doesnt get too far.
I have had a thought that her teeth are brittle and break easily due to the vibration of the burring tool?? I hint heavily to Ian about it being that, but he never says anything.
There are stages of dental disease, so he says.But have you ever bitten on a fenugreek crunchie???:oops:

There were a few threads/posts about this just after i joined i think, as the vibrations cause damage to the tooth roots or something along those lines.

Will try and search, but the RU search feature is about as helpful as Michael Schumacher driving a MG Midget :) (little comment there, just for you Schuey ;))

There were a few threads/posts about this just after i joined i think, as the vibrations cause damage to the tooth roots or something along those lines.

Will try and search, but the RU search feature is about as helpful as Michael Schumacher driving a MG Midget :) (little comment there, just for you Schuey ;))

I thought as much,Graham.

If he's driving me I don't care what it's in :p You know his first car was a Fiat 500 :lol:

There potentially could be a link between the spine issues and the teeth issue given they are both bone. Maybe she has more brittle bones than the average rabbit?

Just to throw something else out there :p

There potentially could be a link between the spine issues and the teeth issue given they are both bone. Maybe she has more brittle bones than the average rabbit?

Just to throw something else out there :p

Well touch wood weve not had a broken bone yet...like as in oesteoperosis but there is that to consider.
Dear wee girl.And her brother......

Well touch wood weve not had a broken bone yet...like as in oesteoperosis but there is that to consider.
Dear wee girl.And her brother......

Yeh I thought that, but did wonder if they can be brittler than normal, but not noticeably so inside the body, but because the teeth are outside the body they don't have anything to protect them.

Random wonderment and probably wrong but just a thought :)

Most of my dental buns can't eat Fenugreek Crunchies. They'll give 'em a good suck, but eventually spit them out because they can't chew them.

I'd say that the teeth and bone issues are linked....possibly caused by inadequate diet in early life. You find lots of selective feeders who are given a mix get calcium deficiency issues. Although I also suspect that rabbits vary in their ability to metabolise calcium :?

I have known Lily since she was born.Yes, she was on a mix feed till she came to me and apparently, kyphosis buns are known to get anorexic.
All interesting reading.Thanks for the thoughts.

Back