• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help me get creative 6ft x 8ft space

blackspots

Warren Scout
hello:wave:
I have been looking into buying a playhouse for my buns, who I hope to bond as a large group of 7 (eek!) this year. I have considered sheds but would prefer the look of a playhouse because of it's location in the garden. After trawling the internet and Ebay our friend who is a whizz with wood has said he would make something to my specifications for a fraction of the price. The area I have is 8-10ft wide by 6ft deep by 6ft high.
I have looked at your pictures of playhouses/shed conversions, and wondered if you could help me come up with a list of essentials for a super new bunny pad. I would hate to have it made and have missed a clever trick eg. windows that open/space for something etc. The bunny pad will ideally be a home and storage combined.
So far I have:
  • High shelf for storage of cleaning products and hay bale/megazorb sacks
  • Stable door so that I can open the bottom and leave the top shut to keep out weather during free range time (buns have free range in secure garden instead of run)
  • Levels with ramps to increase floor space
  • Electricity for heater and lighting
Shadow, Dandy, Domino, Sherbert, Cinnamon, Murphy and Oscar would appreciate your suggestions.

I possibly would have had a 'hidey hole' they can sit on top of or hide in. Mine love to sit on things ie one of those cat trees so I would have a couple of little 'shelves'.

You probably want to think about insulation for winter/ventilation for summer. Being about to swap between solid windows and mesh is handy. Same with the door, a secondary mesh door is handy for summer to let more air through.

My "essentials" list would include......

- insulation and overboarding
- several different levels, as big as possible (no point creating tiny spaces that won't get used) with a snug bed on the top level
- a window view (mine all love to sit by the window on cold/wet days)
- electricity for lighting and the option to heat if reqd, and a fan in summer
- jumps between levels to be calculated carefully - I refitted all my sheds last year to reduce the jumps as my buns have got older and less able
- opening window
- inner mesh door so the main door can stay open in better weather
- cat flap so all doors can be closed when its minus degrees
- enclosure built on slabs or concrete
- enclosure to have a roof to keep off rain

Back