• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Split bonded pair? (referred aggression)

Bunshine

Alpha Buck
The new bun (who is lovely) is as far away as possible. He lives upstairs in one of the bedrooms and my buns have the run of downstairs. They can't see him but must be able to smell him. We're going to handle new bun wearing clothes we won't wear around the other rabbits from now on so hopefully that will help.

My gut instinct tells me to keep them together and supervise as much as possible but I'd feel so guilty if they fought again as the female, although much larger, stands no chance!

so sorry this has happened.:(..it also happened to me & my 2 girls fought - and also had to have staples...Id seperate your pair if they have already fought badly...my 2 girls are in a run which I seperate with mesh until I can supervise play...so they still see each other & lay together etc but with mesh between them. I also swop them over every other night so they dont get territorial.....

This is what Id do in your situation and then re-bond in neutral territory in your new house when you move....hopefully some other with experience will help and advise as Im new to this bonding & fighting business!;)

Hi guys:wave:

I was just wondering if anybody has experience with referred aggression?

My bonded pair have been happy together for two years but since my housemate got a rabbit my male has become increasingly territorial. On Saturday this culminated in him attacking his partner and inflicting some quite deep wounds to her back. I took her to the vet straight away and he advised that I split them up until we move house to our new place where there are no other rabbits and then re-bond. This is only two weeks away but I'm loathe to split them as they are usually so happy together. I've been supervising them all weekend in a new area as far from the new rabbit as possible and they seem to be happy again so I'm not sure what to do now?!:?

How close in proximity is the new bun? You need to try and move them as far away as poss so they cannot see or smell each other. Do you have your own room or something you can put them in?

It sounds like they had a very serious fight but given they are ok at the mo I'd be inclined to try the above first and keep an extra close eye on them.

Hi guys:wave:

I was just wondering if anybody has experience with referred aggression?

My bonded pair have been happy together for two years but since my housemate got a rabbit my male has become increasingly territorial. On Saturday this culminated in him attacking his partner and inflicting some quite deep wounds to her back. I took her to the vet straight away and he advised that I split them up until we move house to our new place where there are no other rabbits and then re-bond. This is only two weeks away but I'm loathe to split them as they are usually so happy together. I've been supervising them all weekend in a new area as far from the new rabbit as possible and they seem to be happy again so I'm not sure what to do now?!:?

Does it happen when someone is about or when they are alone?
One of my bucks is terrible with referred aggression. The only thing that calmed him down is to make sure that anyone who has contact with the other buck changes all of their clothes and has a wash or shower before going anywhere near the bonded group.
Is the buck neutered? The one upstairs I mean.
If he isn't then this will be the problem as entire males have that very distinct "rabbit" smell.

I would be very reluctant to split up a bonded group, if they have settled after moving them I would just keep an eye on them.

so sorry this has happened.:(..it also happened to me & my 2 girls fought - and also had to have staples...Id seperate your pair if they have already fought badly...my 2 girls are in a run which I seperate with mesh until I can supervise play...so they still see each other & lay together etc but with mesh between them. I also swop them over every other night so they dont get territorial.....

This is what Id do in your situation and then re-bond in neutral territory in your new house when you move....hopefully some other with experience will help and advise as Im new to this bonding & fighting business!;)

Aw, sorry this happened to you too:( I'm surprised by how much damage buns can do to each other. How long were your girls together for?

I would be very reluctant to split up a bonded group, if they have settled after moving them I would just keep an eye on them.

This is the thing, I really don't want to split them as they've been together for such a long time. I wouldn't want them each to think that the other had died/disappeared! All of the buns involved (my pair and the new buck) have been neutered for a couple of years and none of them are aggressive by nature. We're now not wearing any clothes around both sets of rabbits so hopefully this will help. I just feel sorry for my poor doe as she's so submissive!

Back