• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice needed please...Flopsy is being neutered today!

Roseberry

Mama Doe
Any particular advice? I have never had a bunny go through the operation before. He is going to the vets tonight for a check up.

I have read that it is a good idea to keep them inside for a couple of days. I currently have my Barney in the indoor cage so will swap them for 2 nights then swap back if Flopsy is ok. Barney has been inside since Christmas but was outside for 6 months before then.

Do I need training pads or anything like that? I was going to use mainly newspaper as bedding and some hay in the corners plus litter. I dont normally have shavings or anything inside because of the mess.

Last edited:
i am quite worried about him going under the anasthetic :( Do i need to make sure he gets any gut stimulants or anything like that?

Make sure he eats well tonight and if possible tomorrow morning. And send him in with a packed lunch of food and hay. :)

After the operation I find it best to bed them on clean towels and have hay in a bowl to eat as this stops and risk of them poking the wound with the hay. They need to be kept warm after the operation so being inside might be the best option as the weather at the moment is a little unpredictable. Don't use a heat pad or anything like that as they can't regulate their body temperature after the GA.

When you bring him home leave him to relax but make food and water available to him. It's likely he won't eat or poo for a good few hours and the first poos might be very small and black. I call them anaesthetic poos. Tempt him with his favourite fresh veg and herbs and if he's not eating by the next morning phone the vets.

Make sure they give you pain killers to take home and administer daily. :)

It's a pretty uninvasive surgery for boys so I'm sure he'll be fine. Ask your vet any questions you feel you want. It'll make you feel better. Good luck. :wave:

as jenova says:D

give him time to 'wake up' properly but make sure he eats whatever he wants as soon as he wants and keep your eyes open for poops.

i think i just used a basket for eric's hay after his op rather than having it in the litter tray in case it jabbed his sensitive bits.

hope flopsy's op goes well x

Thanks guys :) I am prepping him now. I will let you know how it goes. I couldnt get onto the website last night to post or would have done so then!

I phoned up at 2. Flopsy has made it through ok. Am picking him up in an hour as soon as i can get away from work. YAY!

He isnt eating :( not properly anyway. I managed to get him to take a small piece of apple and a small piece of banana last night but thats all he hadnt touched the feast of yummy foods I had prepared for him when I check this morning. Otherwise seems ok though. Hopping about etc but wanting to hide away in corners more than usual. What do yo guys think?

He is the one in my siggy btw.

Flopsy producing both kinds of output and is also inputting. Stitches look ok so hopefully he will be back to his self very soon :) Hopefully I can start to bond him with Bella in a few weeks.

He was galloping around the garden last night, and trying to get to Bella (she was in the hutch) then has eaten MASSES overnight and was gobbling cabbage this morning, so I think he is fine :) back next week for a check up though.

Going to enjoy my week off work now and spend time with Bunnies. :)

Back