• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worried about rabbit.

Nicola3

Mama Doe
I went to see a german lop that was advertised for sale at the weekend.

The woman told me he had been dumped on a friend of hers (whom breeds rabbits) doorstep sometime last year. Apparently, he was skin and bone and close to death. The lady who has him now also breeds rabbits on a small scale.

I picked him up and he was extremely light and I could feel his spine. His chin was very wet which prompted me to suspect tooth problems. I said to the woman he's got a very wet chin and that it could be an indication of tooth problems but she said he had already had his teeth checked by a vet and they were fine. I mentioned again about the chin as it was wet and matted and she said it was where he had been drinking from a water bottle and rolling in the mud. He also stank of urine. So much so that when I left my clothes stank aswell where I'd picked him up. I asked her where he was living and she just pointed and said oh, he lives in a hutch behind the shed over there.

I told her I would have a think about it, but of course me being me I've been thinking about the poor little bun. I don't want to take on a bunny with tooth problems as it's an expense I can't really afford at the moment but on the other hand I'm worried that if he does have tooth problems and he's left he will be suffering. Also why would a rabbit smell so badly of urine.

I did think about asking the woman if she would mind if I took the rabbit to be checked over by my vet but I'm not sure if she would let me do that or take offense so I don't know what to do.

Nicky x x x

Totally the right thing to do and not take the bunny on if he has dental issues that you cannot afford. Are there no rescues in your area that could possibly take him?

I can't think of anything else that you can do, other than try and find someone or a rescue who could help him. I hope he can get sorted, sounds like he doesn't have much of a life at the moment.

Mischa's fur gets wet and matted under his chin, he doesn't have dental issues, it's just the way he drinks so that IS a possibility but more likely to be dental. :?

Personally I would PM Liz (hugos there) or theo (snowy) on the forum but take him from that woman anyway...

If he is ill theo or liz would hopefully be able to help...

Hello :wave:

There is only one animal rescue in Plymouth and they have a huge waiting list and I am pretty sure they wouldn't take in a rabbit with teeth problems.

I'm saying all this when he may well not have teeth problems it's just a suspicion I have.

Without him going to a vet there is no way of knowing if he needs treatment or not : /

You could possibly ask about taking him to your vet just for a general checkup, including teeth just to set your mind at rest... And see what she says?
You wont know until you ask?

It could be where he drinks... or dental, you dont know until you either see the way he drinks or get his teeth checked.

Hope someone can help the poor bun though :(

Hi Schuette : )

Thank you for your reply.

When I mentioned about the wet chin she said it's where he drinks from his water bottle and rolls in the mud. Is that a possibility?

He absolutely stank of urine too. I could smell him when he was on the floor.

According to the woman he was dumped on a friend of hers doorstep as skin and bone last year and close to death. Apparently he has gained a lot of weight since then but there's nothing much of him. You can feel his spine and theres no weight to him.

Nicky x x x

Hi Schuette : )

Thank you for your reply.

When I mentioned about the wet chin she said it's where he drinks from his water bottle and rolls in the mud. Is that a possibility?

He absolutely stank of urine too. I could smell him when he was on the floor.

According to the woman he was dumped on a friend of hers doorstep as skin and bone last year and close to death. Apparently he has gained a lot of weight since then but there's nothing much of him. You can feel his spine and theres no weight to him.

Nicky x x x

It's a possibility, but by no means a certainty. :) I'd say it was more likely to be dental but there's no way to be sure. :(

I think that *if* you do take him then it has to be on the understanding that you fund his treatment. It really isnt fare to expect a Rescue/Sanctuary to step in, at least not without prior negotiation . AFAIK Liz is not taking in any more Rabbits.

I think the best course of action would be to inform the RSPCA. Not ideal as I know that many of us have been badly let down regarding Welfare Reports to the RSPCA concerning Rabbits. But sadly if you are unable to fund Vet treatment then a report to the RSPCA is all you can do.

Rescues would struggle to home a Dental Rabbit and ongoing treatment would put a huge strain on their limited funds. A sanctuary place is an option, but this needs to be sorted out BEFORE you take the Rabbit. I *think* Theo (snowy) and Amy (abbeymarysmokey) are probably the best people to PM about a possible Sanctuary place.

The Bun probably smells as a result of poor living accommodation, an inability to keep himself clean (due to Dental problems) and the fact that he's probably an entire Buck.

Sadly we cant save them all :cry:

From my experience with the local RSPCA in the past they have never shown any interest in rabbit issues. Plus the rabbit is being housed, watered and fed. I wouldn't want to jeopardise trying to help the little man.

I was wondering whether the woman who has the rabbit would allow me to take the rabbit to be checked by my vet (I will pay for it) but I'm unsure whether she will allow it as she has already stated he is in perfect health, which he obviously isn't.

I don't like the idea of him suffering if he does have dental problems and it going untreated. There's not much of him as it is.

From my experience with the local RSPCA in the past they have never shown any interest in rabbit issues. Plus the rabbit is being housed, watered and fed. I wouldn't want to jeopardise trying to help the little man.

I was wondering whether the woman who has the rabbit would allow me to take the rabbit to be checked by my vet (I will pay for it) but I'm unsure whether she will allow it as she has already stated he is in perfect health, which he obviously isn't.

I don't like the idea of him suffering if he does have dental problems and it going untreated. There's not much of him as it is.

Well there is not much you can do apart from trying to get a place for him in a Sanctuary. As I said before, try PMing 'snowy' and 'abbymarysmokey' to see if either of them can help :)

Sorry, been trying to get on and had a problem. Are you able to get the rabbit without paying for it? or does she want money?

Sorry i'm sure i've just read multiple posts that state most rescues wouldn't take on a dental bun. I'm in disbelief as this bunny sounds like he needs rescuing! I didn't realise some rescues pick and choose only healthy rabbits. Lucky there are sanctuaries who don't take this view. Personally I couldn't leave this bun as if everyone takes the same attitude towards possible life long dentals he's going to be in a very sorry state. Poor guy. That said some buns have one dental and with good hay and feed they rarely or never need another. Only some cases but this poor guy could be one of them. Lets hope somebody takes pity on him before he stops eating and ends up in stasis. Feeling quite disappointed with the statements made about rescues, I must admit it's an eye opener!

Sorry i'm sure i've just read multiple posts that state most rescues wouldn't take on a dental bun. I'm in disbelief as this bunny sounds like he needs rescuing! I didn't realise some rescues pick and choose only healthy rabbits. Lucky there are sanctuaries who don't take this view. Personally I couldn't leave this bun as if everyone takes the same attitude towards possible life long dentals he's going to be in a very sorry state. Poor guy. That said some buns have one dental and with good hay and feed they rarely or never need another. Only some cases but this poor guy could be one of them. Lets hope somebody takes pity on him before he stops eating and ends up in stasis. Feeling quite disappointed with the statements made about rescues, I must admit it's an eye opener!

No I think you have misunderstood. Many rescues have dental buns and quite happily look after them and rehome them as dental buns if they find the right home. It's just that if there is a bun who is particularly old, or has health problems that are not necessarily simple and which will need permanent care and attention, it is often appropriate for Sanctuaries like Rainbow Rabbits and The Rabbit Retreat (and AbbyMarysMonkey but I don't know the name of her sanctuary,) to take them in. Rest assured, rescues have their fair share of dental and ill buns too! :wave:

Hope something can be sorted out for this bun. I know he'll be in good hands with Snowy :)

I'm here as a last resort if needed, but Devon to Nottingham is a very long way and I think a bunny run might be problematic for that sort of distance, and obviously not in the best interests of the bun if someone closer can take him.

Good luck

Hope something can be sorted out for this bun. I know he'll be in good hands with Snowy :)

I'm here as a last resort if needed, but Devon to Nottingham is a very long way and I think a bunny run might be problematic for that sort of distance, and obviously not in the best interests of the bun if someone closer can take him.

Good luck

I am waiting to hear from the OP, hopefully she will post back on here, will let you know if I need help at all

Hello people :wave:

Thank you for all your input and help x x x

I don't have a computer at home. This is the info I have on the little chap:

I went to see him at the weekend. The woman who had him said he was dumped on a friend of hers doorstep last year, skin and bone and close to death. They both breed rabbits. He is an agouti german lop but he's tiny and skinny. She told me he is about 16 months old, he is an entire buck. There is no weight to him at all and you can feel his spine sticking out. His chin was very wet and matted. When I said to her this could be an indication of teeth problems she told me he had already been checked by a vet and it was merely where he had been drinking and rolling in the mud. The woman also proceeded to tell me I could use him for breeding if I so wished...:( He smells absolutely terribly of urine, so much so that I could smell him when he was on the floor and my clothes stank where I'd held him. When I asked where he was being housed she pointed to a spot behind the shed but I couldn't see any hutch.

I am willing to take him to my vet to get him checked and pay for his initial treatment. But I'm worried that if he's going to need ongoing dentals I won't be able to afford it as I've recently been told I'm going to be made redundant.

The woman wanted twenty pounds for him..

Would a sanctuary be able to take the little man? There is nowhere down this way.

x x x

Hello people :wave:

Thank you for all your input and help x x x

I don't have a computer at home. This is the info I have on the little chap:

I went to see him at the weekend. The woman who had him said he was dumped on a friend of hers doorstep last year, skin and bone and close to death. They both breed rabbits. He is an agouti german lop but he's tiny and skinny. She told me he is about 16 months old, he is an entire buck. There is no weight to him at all and you can feel his spine sticking out. His chin was very wet and matted. When I said to her this could be an indication of teeth problems she told me he had already been checked by a vet and it was merely where he had been drinking and rolling in the mud. The woman also proceeded to tell me I could use him for breeding if I so wished...:( He smells absolutely terribly of urine, so much so that I could smell him when he was on the floor and my clothes stank where I'd held him. When I asked where he was being housed she pointed to a spot behind the shed but I couldn't see any hutch.

I am willing to take him to my vet to get him checked and pay for his initial treatment. But I'm worried that if he's going to need ongoing dentals I won't be able to afford it as I've recently been told I'm going to be made redundant.

The woman wanted twenty pounds for him..

Would a sanctuary be able to take the little man? There is nowhere down this way.

x x x

Hi:wave:, I have NEVER and will NOT pay for a bunny so if she wants money for him then we have a problem, I am willing to help this little guy if he can be got for free, if he is in such a bad way why does she want money for him? I suppose that being a breeder she doesn't care about the bunny just the money

Do you think you could get him without paying for him?

Hi Snowy x x

Thank you ever so much for your reply x.

She wants money for him because she's ignorant to the fact that he needs to be seen by a vet. She told me he had been checked by a vet last year and is in good health. So as far as she's concerned he's fine and nothing's wrong with him. She wants money for him as she's a breeder and thinks 20 pounds is a good buy for a German Lop. The thing with many breeders is that they invariably think they know everything about rabbits, when they blatantly don't and don't expect people who visit them to know much about rabbits.

The sad fact remains that if he stays where he is untreated he will be suffering. He's as light as a feather, no weight to him at all. :(

I think if I phone her and ask her if I can have him without paying, she will flat out refuse and not let me visit again. She is not the easiest person to talk to. The only thing I could do is go out there again in person and explain to her that I'm going to have to take him to a vet, but last time she was adamant she wanted 20 pounds, no offers.

It's frustrating, as it's very difficult to reason with people when they're stuck in their ways, without jeopardising helping the rabbit. Who at the end of the day is the innocent one, whose fate lies in the hands of the woman who has him. He can't just up and take himself to the vet :(

I just hate the thought of him being left there, untreated, suffering.

x x x

Back