• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pet Shop Buns that don't sell...

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
...i'm going to regret asking. But what happens to them if the store can't sell them?

Do they go back to the breeder, and then, erm, *gulp* ? :shock: :cry:

:?

Please don't hold back, i honestly want to know...

Many of them go back to the breeder and are 'necked', if they are femle then they are kept to churn out more deformed babies to go back to the pet shop again, some are put on freeads and sold if they are lucky

Many of them go back to the breeder and are 'necked', if they are femle then they are kept to churn out more deformed babies to go back to the pet shop again, some are put on freeads and sold if they are lucky

I knew someone would tell me the truth. Thanks Theo.

I now feel physically sick at the comfirmation of what i thought :cry:

Just to add that I don't think Pets at Home send any back to their suppliers, so they would probably go into the adoption centre there :?

Doesn't the shop have to pay the breeder for the animals? So if they return them to the breeder they are losing out on money they have already forked out?

I knew someone would tell me the truth. Thanks Theo.

I now feel physically sick at the comfirmation of what i thought :cry:

:cry::cry::cry:Sorry Graham, but it's a very sad fact and that is why I can't stand what breeders do, they all go on with their pathetic excuses of breeding to better the standard etc etc but it's not like that at all

:cry::cry::cry:Sorry Graham, but it's a very sad fact and that is why I can't stand what breeders do, they all go on with their pathetic excuses of breeding to better the standard etc etc but it's not like that at all

Do you know how long a bun would, on average, stay in a store before he/she was sent back etc?

My weekend now feels even worse...

Doesn't the shop have to pay the breeder for the animals? So if they return them to the breeder they are losing out on money they have already forked out?

Often its 'sale or return'...i.e. if the rabbits don't sell the pet shop doesn't have to pay for them, they simply return them to the breeder

Oh no, like Graham says I probably knew that anyway but I have seen 2 long termers at the pet shop this week. I really worry for them now :cry::cry:

Often its 'sale or return'...i.e. if the rabbits don't sell the pet shop doesn't have to pay for them, they simply return them to the breeder

Oh god ,how hideous , how do people reconcile this with their consciences?

ETA I have 3 french lop/british Giant crosses which came from a garden centre, all had been left until they'd got quite big and hadn't sold,the litter they came from was huge.

They arrived at easter (yes I know!) and I eventually gave in and bought the doe 3 months later by which time she was a big girl and of course there were lots of pretty babies that people wanted more :(

The garden centre got giants in to satisfy customer demand for them but I'm pleased to say theyve not had anymore in since and actually haven't had bunnies or guinea pigs in for at least 6 months now :)

Last edited:
Just to add that I don't think Pets at Home send any back to their suppliers, so they would probably go into the adoption centre there :?

I was in Pets at Home St Helens on Saturday and upstairs they had a gorgeous orange boar guinea who was the image of our Nutty, who was in the adoption centre. They were honest with the reason why he was there. He was overlooked and now they were looking for a good home.

However having adopted Tinkerbell from Speke Pets at Home last January (honestly couldn't leave her she was so terrified) you have to pay £15 for a guinea pig so its only £5 off, they are still making a profit. And in all honesty do we really know where it goes. I'd like to think its genuine but I've no idea.

Last edited:
I think it depends on the pet shop. PAH often have buns that don't sell for whatever reason in their adoption part. Another pet shop local to me had two buns that were there for a very long time.

I asked what would happen to them and was told that they would be offered free to anyone who seriously enquired about them. They had also tried to find them space at a local country park, but without success.

Of course, they may have just been telling me that, but I did believe the member of staff who told me.

Ah right thanks! :) The reason I asked was a once saw a women dropping off lots of baby bunnies at a really bad pet shop here. It seemed an accidental litter and she didn't come across as a breeder. Maybe in that case the petshop will 'get rid' its horrible to think about but its an eye opener. :(

Do you know how long a bun would, on average, stay in a store before he/she was sent back etc?

My weekend now feels even worse...

They stay there for as long as they are cutesy and cuddly and a fluffie bundle, as soon as they look a bit older they are got rid of because people don't want them like that, they just want the tinky tiny bundles

They stay there for as long as they are cutesy and cuddly and a fluffie bundle, as soon as they look a bit older they are got rid of because people don't want them like that, they just want the tinky tiny bundles

I might actually throw up. Again.

I hate life now :(

It's so cruel and i feel like i've left two buns to die :cry:

(i knew these answers were going to be what i was told, i just didnt want to believe them)

I have known bunnies being sent back to breeders at Pets at Home, they just don't like people knowing that that is what they do, many die through illness and the store is credited with more deformed babies from the same breeder

I might actually throw up. Again.

I hate life now :(

It's so cruel and i feel like i've left two buns to die :cry:

(i knew these answers were going to be what i was told, i just didnt want to believe them)

I really am sorry Graham, but sadly it goes on all the time, this is why I say that breeders really don't care about their 'stock', the trouble is that we can't save them all, there are thousands and thousands up and down the country, it's truly awful.

i've never ever forgotten the gorgeous (in my eyes) german lop at a garden centre by me last year. he was reduced to £25 then to £10 for a 'quick sale'.

i knew what was coming but i just can't afford to take on another bun due to possible vet fees.

in hindsight......... but we can't save them all:cry:

sickens me to the core and the guilt i still feel is awful:(

I know P@H will put them in their adoption centre if they become too old and don't sell. So at least they don't get sent back!!

Back