• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoors to Outdoors

gareth_mattey

Warren Scout
Hi everyone,

Well my rabbit Bugsy used to live in a garage with her previous owner and Bambi from the rescue was in a garage too.

They will of experienced cold temperatures still even though not directly outside.

Heard its best to wait until April before moving rabbit outside if it doesnt have a winter coat, which i doubt mine will.

Im moving them outdoors for more room, i love having them indoors but cant let them have the run of the house due to electricals and alsorts. So i feel bad with them being in a hutch all day while im at work.

The new hutch outside is big and has a hutch and built in run so they can hop about and get fresh air, a LOT more room for them but even with temps starting to rise i dont want to put them outside too early as they could be very cold if no winter coat.

Thanks

Hi if they have been indoor bunnies you need to wait until it is warmer. About late April/May time. But if we still have low temperatures I would wait until June. Once adjusted they should be fine. I also did this with my indoors bunnies years ago, they were happy outside for 5/6 years. My current rabbits live indoors.

My previously indoor bunnies went out at the end of February last year. They did fine with loads of hay and straw to keep them cosy :)

I thought the weather was looking better last week, sunny for the first time in ages but this week its not stopped raining and the cars started freezing up again at night.

Very unpredictable.

Hi, all I know from what being told is you need to wait until about late spring summer time, like it would be indoors. It is a bit too early yet. Wait at least another month or 2:).

I've always gone with March. I could be wrong though but last year my buns were out from March to October.

I would wait until mid to late spring before you make the move outside, I would also do it in stages so you build up to them being outside 24/7, but then what do I know all 8 of mine are house rabbits :lol:

Made a Huge mistake by putting mine out in March last year!!
Im lucky I still have my Lils!!
Wait for as long as it takes.xxx

Well ill wait till the beginning of april and see what the conditions are like, if still colf ill wait till may as its usually warmed up a bit by may.

Im buying a thermal cover for the hutch off a guy on ebay who makes them.

The listing said about £35, when i enquired about one for my hutch he said £125 but it does have a lot of slopes and different shapes so understandable.

That should keep them a lot warmer as it has a thermal lining in, got a few months to save up for one anyway :)

Back