• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pooing and weeing.

rolo

Alpha Buck
My bun is a fully free-range house bunny and is litter trained. Which is fab, but.......just abit worried, I let him out of his house (biiiiigggg dog crate, one that would fit an alsation in!!) when we get up, about 7am ish. And hes out all day till we go to bed, prob about 11pm ish. And he NEVER does anything in the house. He holds it all in till he goes back in at bedtime.

He doesnt even go in during the day for munchies or a drink.

Is this normal? And more importantly, will it do him any damage? Should I put him back in every couple of hours for a "Toilet break"?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Rach x

Have you tried taking the litter tray out of the crate and putting it where you bun spends his time?

Marmite used to be allowed supervised time in the living room but her litter tray was in the kitchen. I was lucky that she used to come and jump on me to tell me she wanted the loo. She'd then follow me through the house to where her litter tray was, use it, then follow me back. :D

Does he have access to the open crate during the day?

Does he like the crate or resent being cooped up?

I would be more worried about his lack of drinking and eating for 16 hours :? maybe you'll have to leave his bowl/hay rack out of his crate during the day if he does not like going in it. Are you sure he doesnt drink during the day? Very odd.

Thanks for your replies....Im lucky enough to be a stay at home mum, so Im about pretty much all day, and can keep an eye on him.

His cage is open all the time, he doesnt seem to resent it. When he goes to bed at night, he happily hops into his litter to use it and will tuck into his food. After a good eat and a clean he flops down and goes to sleep.

I tried putting trays all over the house, kitchen, hallway, bathroom, dining room. He sits in them, but doesnt use them.

As for the drinking thing, I can honestly say, hand on heart, Ive NEVER seen him drink! He has a bottle, and I bought him other ones to try, given him a bowl...but nope, he doesnt like drinking from either. I do give him soaking wet veg to eat so he gets abit of fluid then.....

Hes a well bunny, VERY active, affectionate and spends hours playing with us. We even get loads of bunny licks and kisses, which we know is a special honour.

Rach x

Do you put hay in the litter tray so he can poo and munch on hay at the same time? It's a long time for him to go without eating hay and drinking.

Oh yes, lots of hay. And Ive put bowls of food around the house this morning, to see if he wants to eat outside his house. Hes been like this since he came to live with us. Hes a B.A.R.C bunny...and quite possibly the best bunny in the world (can you tell I lurrve him?)

Infact, my carpet now resembles a stable floor. I find hay in the bed...in the airing cupboard, in the drawers. I tend to go abit mad with hay. Id hate him to get bad teeth.

Hes sat on the chair arm looking at me...ohhhhh hes SOOOOOOO cute!

x

Back