• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please Help U/D Tuesday night

Sayrah82

Alpha Buck
Hi everyone.

I went outside to feed the boys about half an hour ago and Mac didn't run out to greet me when I opened the back door like he normally does - it is chucking it down with rain so I didn't think much of it, but he was sat in the covered run, and still didn't come up to the hutch when I was swapping litter trays and putting food out etc, which was strange. I eventually coaxed him out of the run, but he ran straight up to the snug and has refused everything I've offered him, including pineapple and fenugreek crunchies.

I've never had to deal with either of them being ill, so i don't really know what to do - I've just brought him in now so i can keep an eye on him and hopefully get him to eat. I've brought Albie in with him - I take it that's the right thing to do?

At what point should I be calling an emergency vet? The last time I saw him eat was at about half three this afternoon when I popped out with some veggies & pellets.

Any advice most appreciated.

Thank you.

Sarah.x:(

Last edited:
Yes, that is absolutely the right thing to do if they are bonded.

I would suggest a call to the vet now, to be honest.

Make sure they don't get too warm indoors, do you have a room that isn't heated too much?
Does he feel bloated? Is he grinding his teeth? How is he sitting? If he looks uncomfortable and isn't eating or drinking anything, I would take him to the vet tonight, as he may be in a lot of pain and needs a painkiller and maybe some gut stimulants. Good luck, hope he'll get better soon. I might be just the wet and windy weather, but he needs help if he's in pain.

Thanks for your replies.

Well he's started to eat now, which is good.

I don't think he's in pain, but I don't know. I phoned the emergency vets and told them he wasn't eating and the girl on the phone didn't think that was a problem, telling me that 'rabbits are grazers and don't eat all the time' so not massively filled with confidence about the treatment he'll get there.

Given that he is now eating, do I take him now just in case, or wait until the morning and take him to his usual vet, unless of course he gets worse in the night, in which case I can still take him to the clinic tonight?

S.x

Oh, it's a very good sign that he's eating. Make sure he's drinking as well and that he's pooing, but it sounds promising now.
I would recommend a trip to the vet tomorrow just to check teeth etc. How are the vets you usually use? Are they bunny savvy? if not, it may be worth asking for some recommendations in your area on here.

What and how much has he eaten? I would keep checking on him during the night and keep the vet's number handy, just in case. Is he moving about much - that would probably be a good sign. Sending vibes that he will be OK. :wave:

Is he presenting any other signs of illness? Is he hunched, quiet? If there is any sign at all, I'd strongly suggest taking him tonight.. I've had bunnies go downhill extremely quickly and die before I was able to get them to a vet.

What and how much has he eaten? I would keep checking on him during the night and keep the vet's number handy, just in case. Is he moving about much - that would probably be a good sign. Sending vibes that he will be OK. :wave:

Thank you Susie. Yes, he is fairly active, although he is letting me pick him up, so he's obviously not feeling 100% cos that's usually a no no with him.

He's eaten some dried pineapple and two fenugreek crunchies and a bit of a nibble at some hay.

Haven't seen him drink or poo yet though.

Its difficult, I never usually see them at this time of day, and they're obviously both a bit confused about their change in location, and having a lot less space than they're used to outside, so it very hard to know if I'm observing normal behaviour or not, if that makes any sense.

As I type he has started rummaging his way through the egg box full of redigrass and tried herbs, and has just had a sprig of fresh coriander, so we might be okay...

Oh, it's a very good sign that he's eating. Make sure he's drinking as well and that he's pooing, but it sounds promising now.
I would recommend a trip to the vet tomorrow just to check teeth etc. How are the vets you usually use? Are they bunny savvy? if not, it may be worth asking for some recommendations in your area on here.

She isn't specifically a rabbit vet, but she's certainly said all the right things when I chose her over others, and they were brilliant when they were neutered. I will definitely go in the morning

What gorgeous bunnies you have! I would make a vet trip in the morning and monitor throughout the night. Best of luck, hope all turns out ok.

Thank you. I must get some decent new pictures of them, they're 8 wks in my signiture, 8 months now!

Is he presenting any other signs of illness? Is he hunched, quiet? If there is any sign at all, I'd strongly suggest taking him tonight.. I've had bunnies go downhill extremely quickly and die before I was able to get them to a vet.

Thanks for your reply. He was earlier, which is why I brought him in, but he's now eating and hopping about a bit. Having a wash as I type. I'm going to keep a very close eye and take him if he seems worse again.

Sounds like it *might* have been a false alarm. Roo has had a few episodes like that, she'd seem quiet and uninterested in anything, then shortly after bringing her in she's started eating again, then been back to normal in a few hours.

Hopefully it's the same with your bunny. Sending vibes :)

Sounds like it *might* have been a false alarm. Roo has had a few episodes like that, she'd seem quiet and uninterested in anything, then shortly after bringing her in she's started eating again, then been back to normal in a few hours.

Hopefully it's the same with your bunny. Sending vibes :)

Thank you so much.

He's just had a good old munch on the pile of vegies, and the two of them are flopped out together now so fingers crossed he was just in a grump about all the rain! Will be keeping a very close eye though to be sure.

Hi its really hard to tell with bunnies. My Nancy used to have episodes of not eating so always had fibreplex on hand. It is important he is pooing though. I am no expert but bunnies can have moods of going off food but usually when this has happened it had been a week day and easy to get to the vets. Moniter him for any habits out of the usual. You know your own bunny and should be able to tell when it is definately wrong. Sorry I cannot be more help. But the moment you feel it is urgent go to the vets no matter what time it is. Good luck. xxx

Hi everyone, thank you for vibes and advice last night.

He was eating and pooing by this morning, but was still quiet so we went to see Janet (the vet). She couldn't find anything obviously wrong, but he had a shot of Metacam, Baytril & a gut stimulant to make sure, and is currently intermittently binkying about my bedroom and sitting in his litter tray munching!

I'm beginning to wonder if it was all a cunning plan to get brought inside from the horrible rainy weekend, he is a very clever rabbit...

Anyway, seems to be on the mend now, so hopefully that'll still be the case tomorrow when the drugs wear off.

Thanks again.

Sarah

That's good news. :D Hope he remains well after the meds wear off. You can't be too careful with bunnies.

Well, he's very lucky to have such a caring and attentive mum! Glad he's feeling better.

Well, spoke too soon apparently.

He's off his food again this morning and looking very sorry for himself. Have got him to eat some dried pineapple but no luck with anything else yet. Off to the vets again in a bit - some spare vibes would be very much appreciated.

Back