• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please no shouting at me but .......

CharlotteMc

Mama Doe
Penny hasn't been spayed and she is 4 years old I have decided I want to get her spayed after being a member of theis forum and reading threads :) I am taking her to the vets for her myxi next week I think so I will talk to me vet there. Is four years too old ? Please dont shout at me :S

No 4 isnt too old. I would discuss it with your vet to make sure she has no health probs etc. It will need to be a few weeks after her vaccs to give her immune system time to recover. Definately the right thing to do it will drastically reduce her risk of uterine cancer

Why would anyone shout at you? You want to improve your bunnies life, I can't see why anyone would shout.

No, 4 years is not too old :) I would think about maybe getting blood run to check she is as healthy as possible, and then in the hands of a competent vet hopefully the risks will be minimal.

No 4 isnt too old. I would discuss it with your vet to make sure she has no health probs etc. It will need to be a few weeks after her vaccs to give her immune system time to recover. Definately the right thing to do it will drastically reduce her risk of uterine cancer

agreed :wave: 4 is far from old, Jasmine and Daphne were 3 or 4 (not sure of exact age as they were rescues) when we had them spayed

Thanks I would be so worried tho :S:S I always think about the worst posibility :S

I think many of us do, but what's worse? Getting her spayed when she is in good health and in best conditon to survive, or when she gets cancer and is too ill to survive a spay and die?

I think it would be great if you got your bunny spayed.

Agree with everyone about getting your bunny savvy vet to give her a full health check first but if she's in good form it would be a good thing for her.

If it helps, we have had 8 and 9 year old bunnies neutered (last year) so that they can be bonded. Both by the way are still going strong and are now very happily married!

I think it would be great if you got your bunny spayed.

Agree with everyone about getting your bunny savvy vet to give her a full health check first but if she's in good form it would be a good thing for her.

If it helps, we have had 8 and 9 year old bunnies neutered (last year) so that they can be bonded. Both by the way are still going strong and are now very happily married!

yes she seems in good health, she was a little fat last year weighing a whopping 3.75kg for a dwarf lop. but I put her on a diet and she now weighs 2.6 kg :)

yes she seems in good health, she was a little fat last year weighing a whopping 3.75kg for a dwarf lop. but I put her on a diet and she now weighs 2.6 kg :)

2.6 is a much better weight. Some dwarfs are bigger than others so I think it's more important where the weight is carried on the body and what the vet thinks.

I think it's better when they are not too tubby as it can take longer to go under a GA and sometimes a bit longer to come around but your vet will explain all of that (I am certainly no vet or an expert).

Now you've made the decision, you can be guided by the vet and what they think is the best time to do the op.

Lucky lady bunny is all I can say as she will probably feel much more relaxed and less hormonal when she's done.

Thanks, my mum doesnt understand rabbits and she was like but why I am not paying for it :? So I am using my birthday money, but Penny will be worth it all :love:

I have a 4 year old female going to be spayed, possibly next month (I'm waiting for slightly warmer weather).

I hope your girlie's op goes ok :wave:

Back