• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

why does this happen ?

CharlotteMc

Mama Doe
I know people who keep their rabbit in 3ft hutches with no run and there rabbits iarelike 10 years old. While some people like on this forum who would do anything for their buns have rabbits die under the ages of 2 :(
Why does this happen i dont understand :/

I think it is because the type of person to neglect any animal is also the type of person to go straight out and buy a new one when the old one dies. Therefore they stand a greater chance of getting a tougher animal that could make it to a grand age:?

People on here get a weak animal and give it a few extra months/years of life when the neglectful owner would have killed it in days and gone and got another one.

I know what I mean anyway:oops:

I think it is because the type of person to neglect any animal is also the type of person to go straight out and buy a new one when the old one dies. Therefore they stand a greater chance of getting a tougher animal that could make it to a grand age:?

People on here get a weak animal and give it a few extra months/years of life when the neglectful owner would have killed it in days and gone and got another one.

I know what I mean anyway:oops:

I get what you mean. We are rescuing buns whereas they are getting any bun that they think look cute. Is that what you mean?:?:

It's tragic isn't it? But it shows how much life animals have in them that they just don't lay down and die because they're in shocking housing! The bunnies who have been spoilt rotten but die early usually have a reason, a tragic one, that has caused them to hop to the bridge. The ones crammed in tiny hutches just haven't had anything to come down with yet.

Same goes for people who keep fish in bowls "oh but they lived for 2-3 years". And every other animal in poor housing - dogs in sheds, horses in tiny muddy litter-strewn backyards, and so on. :(

i tell myself my stasis prone bun and my enlarged heart angel came to me for a reason... they need/needed someone who would love them and nurse them for however long or short they require that special care.... the poor angels who live without love are just waiting to feel safe to let go and when they finally find that love and dedication they can let their tired scared bodies free, if not they just cling on till old age takes them :cry:

i am still in the its not fair frame of mind even now, but i understand why i have "special" bunnies right from the start of bunny keeping.

i refuse to believe im just unlucky in my bunny choices, i was blessed to meet all three and as much as i will them to old age i have to accept that any stasis episode could be Alvin's last :(

i tell myself my stasis prone bun and my enlarged heart angel came to me for a reason... they need/needed someone who would love them and nurse them for however long or short they require that special care.... the poor angels who live without love are just waiting to feel safe to let go and when they finally find that love and dedication they can let their tired scared bodies free, if not they just cling on till old age takes them :cry:

i am still in the its not fair frame of mind even now, but i understand why i have "special" bunnies right from the start of bunny keeping.

i refuse to believe im just unlucky in my bunny choices, i was blessed to meet all three and as much as i will them to old age i have to accept that any stasis episode could be Alvin's last :(

I love this post :cry:

Donna, Ive never thought of it like that but what a lovely way to look at it:love:
I have asked myself so many times why me Tilly lived 'healthily' for 2 years with her old owner, in a 3ft by 2ft cage with an hour a day free, alone, unspayed and having never been to the vets. And yet a year and a half after being with me, loved beyond reason, spayed,free ranging in my flat with her Timmy she died suddenly :cry:
But maybe youre right, maybe she was just waiting until she was truly happy and loved :love: I hope so x

I know people who keep their rabbit in 3ft hutches with no run and there rabbits iarelike 10 years old. While some people like on this forum who would do anything for their buns have rabbits die under the ages of 2 :(
Why does this happen i dont understand :/

But you don't really have any way of knowing they're 10 years old (given your own age) other than what they tell you. And they quite simply could be exaggerating the facts.

There are a **lot** of rabbits on this forum that are really good ages - ask Snowy who posted a thread on here not that long ago with pics and information on all of her rabbits - several are a good age despite their health problems - and that age is due to the TLC they receive from their owner.

I can tell you this much - for all those people who claim their rabbits lived to 10 years old despite living in a 3ft hutch / not having vaccs / not being spayed I bet there are hundreds more whose lives were cut short prematurely due to myxi, VHD, stasis, cancer etc. :(

I absolutely *hate* it when people use having kept animals for 'x' amount of years as being a reason for knowing better than everyone else. 10 years in a 3ft hutch is really a very, very depressing thought.

I do agree with this. Every single one of my rescues would have not have lived as long had they not come to me (with the potential exception of Flame only). I believe they came for a reason, even though their lives are shorter than any one of us would like.

OK another question. Does what happen, hapen for a good reason. For example a rabbit getting dumped but the road, and it was really ill and close to dieing, but a someone found it and brought it back to health. Is it a good thing that the rabbit was dumped ?
mmm also these questions :lol:

OK another question. Does what happen, hapen for a good reason. For example a rabbit getting dumped but the road, and it was really ill and close to dieing, but a someone found it and brought it back to health. Is it a good thing that the rabbit was dumped ?
mmm also these questions :lol:

I do believe that many things happen for a reason, or that there seems to be some fate or destiny when it comes to many things in life (although, not everything).

You can see the silver lining in many situations like what you mentioned, but that doesn't mean the original situation was ok, and you only know if there is a silver lining with hindsight, not in the moment.

Back