• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

More housing questions - sorry!

krissie1234uk

Young Bun
I recently posted about the suitability of a chicken coop for rabbits, but I was advised that the use of space is poor. I have been looking at shed/run setups but when looking at the cost of this my fiance suggested that he could build me something from scratch, as we have a lot of spare timber, plywood and wooden pallets cluttering up the garage!

With regards to actually making the living space, my idea was to build a framework from timber, panels with plywood and then "clad" this (with insulation between?) with the planks from the pallets. Does this sound reasonable? What would I use for insulation? Also, how would I protect the wood inside?

Another point to ask, is do rabbits enjoy double storey living? Or at the very least, places to hop up on inside their house?

If anyone can offer any advice or any helpful tips I would very much appreciate it! Thanks so much in advance. I have decided I am definitely going to adopt a pair of rescue rabbits, so want to offer them the best I can.

Last edited:
Yes a timber frame with plywood for the floors and walls is my recommendation. You can add cladding to the outside and some insulation if you wish, although it is not mandatory. For insulation you can use polystyrene, bubble wrap, loft insulation; anything really as long as you make it impossible for your rabbits to get at it (they love to chew wood etc and can be quite destructive). Treat the inside with either Pets at Home hutch stain or Cuprinol Garden Shades.

Double storey hutches can be good, but you have to make sure the ramp isn't too steep and doesn't take up too much room. For this reason I wouldn't bother with anything smaller than 6ft with 2 storeys. But a single storey 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch would be fine. Make sure you get a nice run, I recommend 6ft x 6ft x 3ft (tall) using aviary panels and permanently attach it to the hutch so they can come in and out as they chose.

:DHi, i was looking at a coop and was pursuaded by all the advice on here to get a playhouse, so im awaiting its arrival and cant wait to set it all up, im going to put in some different levels so the bunnies can hop up and down, ive read they like different levels and places to hide etc., i have no experience as yet as im due to be a new bunny mummy soon as have reserved 2 rescue bunnies, so i can only say what i am hoping to do.
Im looking at insulating and ply boarding the walls and was going to paint them with cuprinol shades but i emailed them and they dont recommend using it where the bunnies could chew it. A lot of people seem to use the cuprinol shades and obviously havnt had a problem.
Good luck with your set up and getting some bunnies for it, its nice to see so many people who make such an effort for there bunnies and their welfare:D

Thanks so much for the responses! Does the 6x2ft dimension have to be in a straight line? For example, could I have a 4x2ft hutch with another 2ftx2ft added to one corner, so effectively going round a corner? Also, would a 4ft x 4ft run be enough as an attached space, with another foldaway run used when we are home?
I am just thinking that I would like to have the option of bringing them into our garage over winter (it's used for storage only) so would need a hutch that could fit!

If the run is for 2 small / medium size rabbits a 4 x 4 run is quite small, you would be better giving them an extra 2 foot space and make it a 6 x 4 as in the long term you will be eventually want to give them greater space.

A 4 x 2 with a 2 x 2 box on it will give the same overall covered space as a 6 x 2 however the length for them to hop is very short. particuarly if there is then a hole cut in the floor for a ramp to the lower level.

Thanks again, I will relay this onto my fiance and see what he says. The indoor space would not include a ramp down, I was going to make some sort of a balcony running in front of the 4x2 space to include a ramp down.
I'm beginning to wonder if a 6x3 hutch and run combo would be more suitable for our needs with regards to saving space, but this run seems to give them a smaller area to hop around in, although in terms of actual square feet I suppose it's actually more. Back to the drawing board (literally in my case!) I think.
Are there any alternatives to using a ramp to get up and down? Something which wouldn't take up quite so much room!?

Back