• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Small poo's? -What should/shouldn't poo's look like?

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
I have been noticing the odd few smaller poo's, they are the same colour as the usual size ones but are a lot smaller, should I be worried about these? They haven't had any changed to their diet or anything.

Last edited:
I'm not sure, but if it's only a few, and you're still getting nice big round poops too I don't think it's too much to worry about. Oscar's vary a lot depending on what he's eaten just before- so if he's been asleep they're smaller than if he's been eating lots of hay.

Will see if anyone else who knows more responds...

If it were one of mine I would keep a very close eye on the rabbit. Make no changes in diet and make sure each rabbits appetite/behaviour is normal.

I think it does show that something is going on in the gut but not sure what it would mean.

I do know that when one of my buns had a few small droppings that were very out of character for her, she went into GI stasis the next day and was diagnosed as having a chest infection. Small droppings were the only symptom she showed. But am am sure it will be nothing that serious for you. Just keep a close eye. Good luck:)

I had a thread a while back called 'smaller and darker poos.' I think Fluffers has a post on it that might be quite reassuring for you. If you use search and type in 'smaller and darker poos' you should find the thread. Sorry I don't know how to post a link. I know the poos you are referring to are the same colour, but the thread does refer to size too.

Is he/she eating enough hay? The reason I ask is that with guinea pigs smal poops is a sign they are not eating enough hay so I wondered is this the same for bunnies?

Thankyou, I think it is Gordon which is doing them but not sure about this. He (well both of them) are acting, eating and drinking well. I am keeping a close eye on him though. I also checked both their bottoms and they are fine. I know that poo's should be golden and they usually are in my opinion but what should they look/feel like? :oops: Just wanting to check the ones that they usually do are good :)

ETA: Just seen the latest post, they are both eating hay as well as usual, thankfully they are both good hay eaters

Thankyou, I think it is Gordon which is doing them but not sure about this. He (well both of them) are acting, eating and drinking well. I am keeping a close eye on him though. I also checked both their bottoms and they are fine. I know that poo's should be golden and they usually are in my opinion but what should they look/feel like? :oops: Just wanting to check the ones that they usually do are good :)

ETA: Just seen the latest post, they are both eating hay as well as usual, thankfully they are both good hay eaters

Dry, soft and crumble into coarse dust easily. No sticky or mucus feel:)

Dry, soft and crumble into coarse dust easily. No sticky or mucus feel:)

Thankyou :) What may be wrong if they are sticky, rubbery or hard? I am doing daily 'poo checks' and want to know what to look out for, thankyou :) I have always checked them but never really knew what to look for.

Thankyou :wave: They look like that but can sometimes be more rubbery/squashy than 'crumbly', does this mean anything? Usually they seem fine. Sorry for all the questions, I'm just learning how to do thorough poo checks :oops:

Are they outside on grass? I think the golden crumbly poos are rabbits on hay, I don't have any outdoor buns, so don't really know what grass fed rabbits droppings look like:oops:

If they get a lot of fresh then I *think* their poo may be softer:?

Best bet is to take a photo with a coin as a size indicator, everyone on here loves a poo pic thread:lol:

They are outside but not on grass, they live in a shed and will get access outdoors once it is warmer :) I will take some poo pics in a bit :)

Only found two little poo's today so that's good, the pic makes them look a bit different colour to what they really are but you can see the size. They are next to a 50p coin. I also don't know how old these poo's are. The buns are certaintly acting fine and eating fine, both came rushing at me when I went in their shed :)

rabbits002.jpg

And one I took by accident, I love their little tails!

rabbits003-1.jpg

Look like wonderful poos to me:lol::oops:

Not sure about the little ones though, have you only recently got them onto a different amount of hay/pellets/fresh? As I have read that it can take a long time for their tums to get used to different diets.

Thankyou, I'm pleased to hear that :D I have noticed the odd smaller poo but just recently there has been a few, no changes to their diet though :?

I don't think you need worry Liz. They look like good poos to me ;)

Keep an eye of things of course and question anything that looks a little abnormal :wave:

Back