• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with the hay experts ?

CharlotteMc

Mama Doe
What hay do you guys but from the hay experts ?
also mine arent given the hay expert hay so would it be ok to change the hay ?

Last edited:
i don't buy my hay from there, but a sample pack is always good to see which they like best. As for changing hay, it shouldn't be a problem. I was forever swapping and changing Oscar's hay :lol:

The hay experts sell lots of different brands and types of hay.

The sample pack can help you see what your buns like.

I buy:
Burns welsh meadow
Burns green oat
Oxbow orchard grass
cant remember the brand (they only do one) alpine meadow grass
readigrass

I also buy another type of meadow hay from there but its cut really short so I dont like it, Pure Pastures I think.

I get my Timothy elsewhere.

Which hay will last the longest for 3 bunnies to eat and bedding for 2 hutches ?

You don't really want what lasts the longest, but what they eat the most of. Rabbits should eat lots of hay, so you want to find what their favorite is. Sample packs are the best way to do this

Which hay will last the longest for 3 bunnies to eat and bedding for 2 hutches ?

well its not really about what type then, its about quantity. I wouldnt waste expensive hay (some of the ones I mentioned are £7+ a kg) on bedding so use meadow for this, then get a treat hay for hay racks etc.

well its not really about what type then, its about quantity. I wouldnt waste expensive hay (some of the ones I mentioned are £7+ a kg) on bedding so use meadow for this, then get a treat hay for hay racks etc.

You probably want to get different eating and bedding hay in that case. Oscar has cheap 2kg bag (I think) for bedding and litter trays that lasts him a couple of months, and more expensive but tastier eating hay. Currently have a 4.8kg bag of the Ings hay from hay for pets which looks like it will last a good while!

You probably want to get different eating and bedding hay in that case. Oscar has cheap 2kg bag (I think) for bedding and litter trays that lasts him a couple of months, and more expensive but tastier eating hay. Currently have a 4.8kg bag of the Ings hay from hay for pets which looks like it will last a good while!

oooh thanks :D, whats the £2 hay called ?

1.8kg wont last long if it is used for bedding, but a while if it is used for eating.

You're probably better off buying in bulk if you can store it, buying a bale or getting some meadow hay from Hay For Pets, Willow Warren or Dust Free Hay.

1.8kg wont last long if it is used for bedding, but a while if it is used for eating.

You're probably better off buying in bulk if you can store it, buying a bale or getting some meadow hay from Hay For Pets, Willow Warren or Dust Free Hay.

This is a stupid question but how big is a bale ? :L

This is a stupid question but how big is a bale ? :L

Not sure, I havent seen them for ages, not since I had horses, and then I never had them in the house :lol:

They are big though, maybe about a metre in length, and heavy, but then I find many things heavy :oops:

Not sure, I havent seen them for ages, not since I had horses, and then I never had them in the house :lol:

They are big though, maybe about a metre in length, and heavy, but then I find many things heavy :oops:

ooh so how long will a bale last for 3 buns ?

I think a bale is 4ftx2ft?

a 1.8kg bag lasts me about a month maybe 2 for 2 nethies :wave: a bale lasted me 3ish months,feeding and bedding a 5ft double hutch :wave:

ooh so how long will a bale last for 3 buns ?

I dont know, my bun is inside (so no bedding hay) and isnt a good hay eater so I have no way of comparing to your outside buns. Only someone with outside buns can tell you that. Depending on how much they eat it should last a few weeks at least though...

eta thanks georgeypudding!

Back