• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hi everyone

Tmitchell167

Young Bun
Can anyone tell me how long I need to keep kits in with their mum.she has two sets of kits and am worried it will tire her out.the older kits r now 5weeks and the babies a week old.any help wud be great :wave::love:Xxxx

How is she behaving with the older set? As soon as she shows aggression to them, they need to come out, but the later the better unless she really isn't coping.

How does she look in herself? Is she eating unlimited amounts of pellets? Lots of hay? Is she active and bright? Looking after herself?

Also, I'm sure you've done this, but the male has been removed, right?

Thanks for your advice.yes mummy seems happy and is bright and active .:love:So do all the babies.how long do the kittens have to feed of her for.???am in the process of building another two cages so they will all have lots of room.am really enjoying them thou.they are adorable.xxx:)

Normally they would feed for 8 weeks or so, but mum may stop the older ones feeding now, or she may already have done. That's ok, their gut converts to an adult gut and doesn't 'need' the food from 3-4 weeks old, so that's ok. They just need minimal stress to allow their imune system to develop and if they do feed for longer that would be ok too.

Glad mum is doing ok :) Read her, and her actions as to whether or not you need to do anything. Some mums are more than ok to raise both sets of kits at once, but some are not. If you see any signs of aggression (preferally early aggression, like driving them away, raising her tail at them, lunging at thm, ears down, or even flicking at them), then they need to come out straight away to avoid her attacking them.

Are you keeping all of the babies? :)

Sounds like you have your hands full!

Looking forward to the pics of them (and of daddy bunny!)

Must have been a shock when you thought you had 2 of the same sex to end up with so many.

Hi everyonr

Great guys.thanks so much for your advice.don't think we will be keeping all the babies,but don't know how I will ever be able to part from them.love each and every one of them already.babies are a week old today and getting big.don't really think the mum is feeding the older babies but they still love snuggling up together and all seem happy.she's a great mum.am in awe of her.xxx:love::wave:

Great guys.thanks so much for your advice.don't think we will be keeping all the babies,but don't know how I will ever be able to part from them.love each and every one of them already.babies are a week old today and getting big.don't really think the mum is feeding the older babies but they still love snuggling up together and all seem happy.she's a great mum.am in awe of her.xxx:love::wave:

Well, from what I've heard in school, you're a great mum too!! :D

Back