• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outdoor access for indoor bunnies

SarahP

Wise Old Thumper
My brain is racing as usual. ;)

Am just wondering if anyone has any kind of indoor set up, where a door can be opened to the garden so the bunnies can have (safe) access to the outdoors, without having to be picked up and taken there.

What I'm thinking of are things like some sort of pen outside that can be put against the door, or aviary panels, or that sort of thing.

Just having a few crazy thoughts, that's all! :p

I think having a pen outside the backdoor would be a good idea for the summer for indoor buns who cant have free range :wave: Then they have a choice of whether to go out or not :lol:

When i had George inside as soon as he knew what the backdoor was for, thats where you would find him :lol: But because the other buns were free ranging he couldnt always go out, so i think thats a good idea... shame i didnt think of it when george was indoors! :lol:

Its also a good idea if your bun doesnt like being picked up :lol:

You would just have to think about how you would attach it? Keep it secure? etc :)

We have an indoor room for boarding like an outhouse, and we did consider knocking a few bricks out and building a run on the other side of the wall so this could be possible, we didnt do in the end as most indoor bunnies dont go outside and if they do I just take them to the run on the grass, but that was one way of doing it. obviously adding some kind of door inside the hole.

OoooooHHH!!

Is there anywhere you could put a catflap with a pen outside where the pen wouldn't be in your way when you open the door? I've seen these before for cat owners who don't want their kitties to free range but to have some outdoor space. I think you can even get catflaps which go through brickwork if you wanted to put it somewhere out of the way.

OoooooHHH!!

Is there anywhere you could put a catflap with a pen outside where the pen wouldn't be in your way when you open the door? I've seen these before for cat owners who don't want their kitties to free range but to have some outdoor space. I think you can even get catflaps which go through brickwork if you wanted to put it somewhere out of the way.

Am going to have to see what the outside space etc is like (moving tomorrow!), but a cat flap was one thing I thought of (as long as it's relatively secure from (a) burglars and (b) foxes etc). Not sure if it's really possible, but yer never know...

Thanks for the ideas, everyone. :)

Back