• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding advice needed please!

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
Now that Honey has been spayed, I'll be reuniting her with Olly in a few weeks when she's fully recovered :) I want to be fully prepared regarding exactly what I need to do to make things run smoothly... I have now got some NIC cubes thanks to a member of RU :wave: , so I plan to make a new enclosure for the two buns that neither of them have been in before... I know I also need to put this in another room that they aren't used to. My first question is how big should I make the cage to start with? And can I just put them in it together and leave them to reacquaint with each other (with supervision of course)? Or should they just go in there for a short time each day? And then, when can I make their enclosure bigger? Do they have to stay in their bonding cage 24-7 or can they come out and play? And finally, when can I bring them back into the lounge where they will live?
Sorry for so many questions, I just want to get it right! Thanks :wave:

Good luck.:wave: I don't have experience, but the RWA leaflet 'Bunny Buddies' has some good tips.

My suggestion would be to set up a pen approximately 4 x 2 foot to start with in a neutral area, ensure that you have at least 48 hours clear so that you can stay with them for the complete period of time without having to leave them.

When bonding it is best to do this in one session as it is less stressful for the buns and they will bond quicker. Place the buns in the pen at the earliest possibly time having ready a broom where you can pull them apart if they start fighting. After a count of 10 release them.

Nipping, humping should be tolerated. Do not move or extend their space for at least 48 hours after tehy have showed any unacceptable behaviour, then slowly expand their space a couple of square feet extra every 48 horus and then only if they are settled. What ever additional space you give them must always be neutral.

The space where they previously were kept must be neutralised before they are allowed back in there.

My suggestion would be to set up a pen approximately 4 x 2 foot to start with in a neutral area, ensure that you have at least 48 hours clear so that you can stay with them for the complete period of time without having to leave them.

When bonding it is best to do this in one session as it is less stressful for the buns and they will bond quicker. Place the buns in the pen at the earliest possibly time having ready a broom where you can pull them apart if they start fighting. After a count of 10 release them.

Nipping, humping should be tolerated. Do not move or extend their space for at least 48 hours after tehy have showed any unacceptable behaviour, then slowly expand their space a couple of square feet extra every 48 horus and then only if they are settled. What ever additional space you give them must always be neutral.

The space where they previously were kept must be neutralised before they are allowed back in there.

Thanks that's really helpful :) how do I neutralise the previous space? Do I have to clean the carpet etc? It's kind of both their space at the moment anyway, they just take turns to play out in the same room...

If it is hard flooring wash it down with a solution of vineagar and water, wash all skirting boards and also legs of chairst etc.

If it is carpet clean it using a proprietry carpet cleaner and then allow it to thoroughly air, whilst you are bonding you will have adequate time to allow this to dry and also any vapour to disappear as you really shouldnt be moving the buns from where you are bonding them for at least a week.

Janice is the Queen of bonding - I'd suggest taking her exact advice :)

Edit: LOL! Forum clock up the creek :lol:

Back